question

tjcoogan avatar image
tjcoogan asked

Orion IP67 DC DC Converter 12/24-50A Cables

Hello all thanks for your valuable forum information.

I have exhausted my searching and thought I would ask here, so please forgive me in advance.

I am in the process of installing a power solution on my boat to run a 24V trolling motor via a paralleled pair of 12V 100Ah lithium batteries, using an Orion IP67 12/24-50A DC DC converter to obtain the 24V to run the motor. The document only states the fuse size (120A) and the unit has M6 bolts for DC connections. I am unsure of the cable size that I require to connect the converter input side from the battery bank. I am running 2 AWG (35mm2) between the batteries and a shunt and would figure to continue 2 AWG to the converter (that's my question). When I use the Victron Tool Kit I'm not sure if I should be using 12V or 24V and 100A or 200A with the combined battery output and will the voltage drop be any issue with this size cable. The cable length would be no more than 1m from the bank to the converter. Thanks again.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

12V current is double the 24V current. Size cables for the current they carry. The Victron toolkit will give voltage drop at specific currents. Not current carrying capacity of the cable. The Solaris chart I checked gave a conservative 92A for 2AWG.

Input current to the Orion will be max 100A plus a bit for conversion losses. Output current max is, of course, 50A.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tjcoogan avatar image tjcoogan commented ·
Thanks for your response Kev. I will go with the 32mm2 to the converter then 10mm2 to the trolling motor. Tycab cable amp rating for each should be acceptable I believe.
1 Like 1 ·