question

mjversey avatar image
mjversey asked

More details on the MPPT Algoritm?

I am doing a Uni project on a solar panel that may see rapidly changing solar conditions and one concern of mine is the speed of a controller to account for these conditions.

I am using the SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT for my experiments.

I was wondering if there are any details published regarding the type of algorithm and speed of the MPPT controller. In the manual it says the algorithm is "innovative" and "ultra fast" but I can't seem to find any details further to this.

Thanks very much.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mike4nl avatar image
mike4nl answered ·

@MJVersey
Hello,

i don't think that you get an answer on this from Victron.
Because:
- That is the Know-How what Victron is using, simply say.
- The Chinese try to copy this for a longer time now to sell it much cheaper and make her win.
- I know that because they got to me because i know a lot about Victron hardware.
- But i would NEVER EVER give any Information to China or any other Country when it comes to VICTRON. This is part of my honor..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

All the firmware is freely available for download. If you are able to read or tech your way through that, you will have your answer.

1 comment
2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
if you like looking through machine code.....
0 Likes 0 ·
johanndo avatar image
johanndo answered ·

I would suggest you measure the pv side of the panels during the day and with changing conditions like shading, clouds etc. You may be surprised, that the MPPT Voltage point doesnt move much on changing conditions, once it is found, it stays there. No need for fast tracking, or for much tracking at all. It is even a downside when the controller searches too often, as you loose power during this scan time. The MPPT voltage is almost spot on on what the panel manufacturer print on the label, you could set a fix voltage input on this and don't care much about tracking.

2 |3000