question

johnhearnden avatar image
johnhearnden asked

Power to starting but not house battery

Just replaced a Charles 3 output battery charger with a IP22 3 output charger. I get charging to my starting battery but nothing to my house battery. 1 output I’m not using. The Charles has a jumper wire from the output not being used to the outlput beside it that is being used. Do I need to do the same thing With the Victron? Thanks.

Dave

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
liam-hogan avatar image
liam-hogan answered ·

Hi Dave,

Could you clarify for us exactly which equipment you are using?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnhearnden avatar image
johnhearnden answered ·

I bought a 20amp 3 outlet IP22. I’m using the existing wiring that the old charger used. Starter is getting power but not my house batteries which are 2 6volt in series. There are fuses at each positive post and they are good.

Dave

2 |3000

liam-hogan avatar image
liam-hogan answered ·

Hi Dave,

From what you are saying it sounds like this could be a wiring issue. The previous setup with the Charles Marine charger sounds like it potentially bridged/paralleled the starter and house batteries, effectively creating one, larger 12V battery to charge - this is not ideal though for balancing and other reasons. The way the new Victron charger has been connected does not do the same (I'm guessing that's to do with the "jumper wire" you mentioned) hence why you are getting power only to your starter battery.

I'm making a lot of assumptions there as the information you have provided is still very minimal and it is difficult to diagnose the system without seeing it or having more info on exactly how it is wired.

If you are able to provide more info in the form of a wiring diagram, photos or describing exactly what is connected to where, myself or someone may be able to assist further.

Alternatively, I think the most direct solution in your particular case would be to have a marine or auto electrician (not sure if this is a vehicle or boat) have a quick look - as the way your system is set up may need altering in order to keep both batteries isolated but chargeable.

2 |3000