question

fido avatar image
fido asked

How to disable Multiplus 2 charger

Hello All,

my name is Daniel from Germany, I have just installed an 3 Phase ESS with 3x 48/500 Multiplus.

As battery I have a selfmade LiFePo4 with a Daly BMS connected to the raspberry Pi.

I also have 3 MPPT, but actual I only installed 2 solar panels, because I'm waiting for Material.

In my Installation the Multiplus Input is connected to the Grid, and all my loads are connected to the output. So I'm using the Multiplus Grid Meter

So I wanted to setup the Battery to "kep charged". (My self consumption is always high enough) But Actual It seems, that the system will repeatly charge and discharge the Battery a little bit, also from Grid.

Also the PV Yield is very worse with this settings:

This is a day without clouds.

1660479462733.png

Another similar day, without "keep charged":

1660479560958.png

It seems, that with the setting "keep charged" the PV charger will disabled, instead of inverting the power.

If I set the minimum SOC to e.g. 90%, The system would take battery and solar power until 90% SOC (like it should), But then the Batterie would be charged by the PV and the Multiplus.... This is absurd.

1660479986163.png

Is there a way to completely disable the integrated Charger? If I set the Multiplus to Only inverter, it would switch of the Grid which isn't my intention...

In the VEBus setup I disabled the charger, what isn't working...

So actual I can not disable the charger (although I did already)

And with setting batteries to "keep charged" the PV charger would not work properly.

Is there any way to optimize this?

Multiplus-II
1660479462733.png (54.3 KiB)
1660479560958.png (22.5 KiB)
1660479986163.png (54.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Fido

Do you have DVCC enabled?

When DVCC is enabled and DC power feeding is enabled (in ESS), you can set the charge current to ZERO in the DVCC and Inverter would not ever charge the battery. Only charging will be done by MPPT.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You sure about that? That is a system wide parameter, doesn't only affect the multi.
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

@nickdb

I am using it this way.

screen-shot-2022-06-12-at-94736-am.png

screen-shot-2022-06-12-at-94723-am.png

You cannot limit charging current from MPPT if "DC-coupled PV - feed in excess" is enabled.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Fido

Hi Daniel

You can disable the internal charger in ve config or victron connect on the charger tab.

Sometimes the charge discharge thing can be with multiphase regulation which can be set on the GX itself.

2 |3000

fido avatar image
fido answered ·

Hello Alexandra,

the charger is already disabled (I did it in the VEBus setup) But anyway, it would charge the batteries.

The change of multiphase regulation also don't solve the problem (I already tried)

@ marekp

Thank you, this actually works.

What does the DC power feeding actual mean? Is this for feeding in solar power from my mppt if batteries are full? Until now I had activated AC power feeding (I have no AC inverter, only the multiplus) So this isn't necessary for me?

1 comment
2 |3000

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

@Fido

Thescreen-shot-2022-08-14-at-41545-pm.png

means that the excess power from MPPT will be converted to AC by MultiPlus. Than it will be used by loads or fed to the grid.

If you have also AC-coupled PV inverter, you can feed its excess power to the grid also. If you don't have it, than there is noting to feed. :)

screen-shot-2022-08-14-at-42140-pm.png

In my system I noticed that MPPT first charges the battery and once the battery is full, energy from MPPT is converted to AC by MultiPlus, but only when "DC-coupled PV - feed in excess" is enabled. When is not enabled, limiting charge current in DVCC also applies to MPPT chargers.

0 Likes 0 ·
fido avatar image
fido answered ·

Today Morning, something strage happened:

The actual setup is "keep batteries charged".

Charging is set to 0, and DC coupled system is Activated.

So I would assume, that if there is no Solar Power, the inverter is disabled. In the morning I hat a power peak (~14kW warm Water) And there was 0 PV Power. But the Victron uses the inverter with up to 10kW. Why does the system do that? I have no AC Power limited, but I limited the inverter power to 550W. That is absolut bad that neither the Battery hold function is working, and also not the limiting function.

So actual it seems, that the victron don't respect the settings. What is there wrong?

1660575182957.png

1660575182957.png (77.7 KiB)
2 |3000