question

freddy10010 avatar image
freddy10010 asked

Output voltage too high

I have an isolation transformer, model 7000w/230v/32A. My problem is the output voltage is reading 256v. I'm concerned that this higher voltage will damage my appliances. I'm also surprised that it is this high when the input voltage is 240v. Why is the output higher than the input? Everything is wired as per the instructions with a jumper between J5 and J7. Thanks for any advice.

voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The transformer is wound to give a 5% higher output voltage under low load so that at higher load the voltage drop does not cause under voltage. If you are UK the voltage spec is 216V to 253V so you are probably OK. At my marina the input voltage is 250V so when hooked up I get 263V under light load. This 1.05 factor is noted on the datasheet but it is hidden under the spec For the 3600W auto version but it applies to all of them.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic