question

candide avatar image
candide asked

MPPT Error code: #18 - Charger over-current

My Bluesolar MPPT 100/50 occasionaly gives:

Error code: #18 - Charger over-current

How come? The sole purpose of the MPPT is to limit the current. (and voltage)

I have a 12V 560Ah LiFePO4, and 3pcs 395Wp solar panels in parallel (JA Solar JAM54S31-395).

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Candide

Maybe related to your other post. The fix for this one is to reduce load or increase cooling.

Mppt error 18

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

candide avatar image
candide answered ·

The error is unrelated to my other error VEbus14. There was a week in between. I have a 560Ah battery, the discharce never exceeds 0,5C, so the MPPT should have no fear about the amount of battery load. During the 5 occurences of overcurrent errors, there was no significant load: the BMV reported 50A going ínto the battery. (So that's the entire MPPT charge current) At that specific moment, the battery voltage was 13.5V so nearly fully charged.

I would expect the MPPT to b e equipped with a current mode controlled buck-coverter. So output overcurrent could never occur.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

The issue then maybe that the mppt was producing alot of power, then suddenly the load was gone, so there was a current overshoot. It is explained in the link above.

This can happen when either a large load suddenly switches off or the battery bms disconnects its charge circuit suddenly or a combination of both.

1 Like 1 ·