question

poikkis avatar image
poikkis asked

Firewall blocks link-local ip address and having error 1392

Hi, i have 3 phase Multiplus-II and my firewall keeps blocking it's link-local ip address.What is the purpose of this 169.254.xx.xx address. Do i need to make allow rule for it, that it can be access outside ?
I am asking because i have issue with vrm.victronenergy.com / device list / firmware update doesn't work.

It goes to Status: Connection established, retrieving list of devices... but then fails.

and if that isn't strange enough, the device list have my PV twice with same instant.

Versions:
Gateway 2.6 > 2.89 > 2.90b20 (same problem with all fw)
Ve.bus system 497
Battery monitor 4.08

I am using 5G connection with public ip & ipv4

Thank you

screenshot-39.png

screenshot-40.png

screenshot-42.png

screenshot-41.png

Multiplus-II
screenshot-40.png (23.4 KiB)
screenshot-41.png (15.0 KiB)
screenshot-39.png (92.2 KiB)
screenshot-42.png (21.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Poikkis

Two way communication needs to be enabled (see Settings → VRM Online Portal on the GX device)

Check that Two way communication up & running: check on the Device list page on VRM

screenshot-20220809-215011.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Otherwise try robooting the GX device and see if that clears it.

When you have a working system it is best not to do firmware updates unless you are experiencing problems. And on a 3 phase better to use an mk3 with local physical access in case of issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
poikkis avatar image
poikkis answered ·

Yes, that is enabled and has all ways been like that.

I have red all the manuals/ troubleshooting documents what i can find about the issue, and done lots of testing and checking but still i can't pin point is it firmware issue or network issue or some issue on the VRM end on and how to continue troubleshooting.

The whole mess started, when i realized that weird firewall behavior with link-local adresses and the same time i noticed that update function does not work and started to troubleshooting it too.

I fought with this couple of days and then gave up and bought MK3 and updated everything to latest.
But even so, the system dosen't work as it supposed to. It is not an major thing, because i have mk3 now, but i wish to get everything running as they supposed to be and get ridge of that firewall issue.

I took me a while to understand where that firewall snaging is coming on my network, but finally i track it to Multiplus-II and it's local-link function.

screenshot-43.png

screenshot-43.png (33.6 KiB)
2 |3000

brucesterj avatar image
brucesterj answered ·

Do you have a wireless router..? If so, log into it and search for static IP.. then add that Ip address to this list. Save changes and then reboot it. Hope this helps.

2 |3000

poikkis avatar image
poikkis answered ·

I am wondering here, are here any multiplus-II user who have single or 3 phase installation and can confirm that the firmware upgrade via vrm webpage is working and if so what kind of network (internet connection you have)

Thank you

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Fibre to fibre and it works.

Have a site on mobile does not work. Network too unstable. Also remote so definitely not worth doing it and not being there in person if something goes wrong

1 Like 1 ·