question

Henrik avatar image
Henrik asked

How to manage brown out conditions with Quattros in UPS mode?

I am struggling to find a reasonable solution to handle extended brownout conditions with a Quattro system. The system is connected to a large battery bank and a powerful diesel and works as big UPS.

Mains is connected to AC1in , generator is on AC2in. This is intentionally, because we use the "do not run generator when AC1 is in use" feature of the Venus GX.

Perfectly working so far during mains black outs.

The problem starts when the mains remains longer times in brown out conditions (= all phases between 175V-185V , almost independent from applied load) :

The Quattros remain in inverting mode even when stable power from the diesel would be available on AC2 in because the Quattros measure "some" poor voltages on AC1 in.

I know that swaping AC1 and AC2 would help but at a price that the 'stop generator upon mains is restored' feature would be given up. This feature, however, is a significant operation cost factor.

Option 1:

Is there a way to force the Quattros to accept AC2 input power even when "some" poor AC1in voltages are being detected?

Option 2:

If option 1 is not possible, is there a solution to stop the generator automatically upon return of mains when mains is connected to AC2in?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you should be able to control that using assistants as you can control ac1 and ac2 in based one voltages. or you could use the assistants to stop the gen if it was connected to ac1 in,

Anyway have a look in this area and see how you go

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Henrik avatar image
Henrik answered ·

Dear Paul, thanks for your reply. I checked the available assistants conditions. Unfortunately, I cannot find conditions based on definable AC input voltages. Where can I find this?

The only selectable option I can find is "if AC1 is connected..." - which probably does not detect too low voltages correctly (same problem as now).

2 |3000