question

jterrag avatar image
jterrag asked

use of ground relay with a fixed installation

Hi.

With a fixed installation, i.e. one where the grid ground connection is never interrupted (unlike on a van or boat), is the use of the ground relay of a multiplus necessary?

Or should it be disabled in that case?

Thanks

Grounding
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

It detects and switches automatically. No action needed.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jterrag avatar image jterrag commented ·

Yes, when it's enabled, it bonds AC-OUT neutral and ground when there's no grid and it releases them when grid's back.

But it can be disabled all together, so that there is no automatic bonding/unbonding between AC_OUT neutral when grid's out/in.

I was asking if it should be disabled all together when, in a fixed installation, the ground connection is never broken (unlike a van or boat).

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ jterrag commented ·
@jterrag

It depends on the grid code being used.

For some it is enabled and cannot be changed.

For the most part it is best to have it enabled, it is safety related and with most safety devices/mechanisms you don't need it until you need it.

0 Likes 0 ·
jterrag avatar image jterrag Alexandra ♦ commented ·

My setting for the grid code is "off-grid" so there is no back-feeding and I can deactivate the ground relay.

It's just that I'm not clear on its usefulness when the ground connection is never broken. Could you please explain why it is useful, not in general, but in that particular setting?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ jterrag commented ·
The ground connection may not be broken, but the neutral connection is broken when the backfeed relay is open and therefore you have no N-E bond from upstream anymore. So then you do need the N-E bond to be created by the relay.
0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

You absolutely need the ground relay for a functioning Residual Current Device breaker !

If there is no connection between N and PE, it also does not detect a differential current !

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The purpose of the neutral to safety ground connection is to provide a path for fault currents so that the circuit breaker (or fuse) will trip on a fault. Without that connection the chassis of the device with the fault could reach lethal voltages.

It is essential that ONE and ONLY ONE connection between safety ground and neutral is made in any electrical system. This is generally at the service entrance. However if an isolation transformer creates a new neutral that is isolated from the up-stream power source, it is necessary to create a connection between the new neutral and safety ground. When the Multi/Quattro disconnects from the grid and switches to inverting mode, the connection to the up-stream neutral no longer exists. The internal ground relay then creates a new neutral-safety ground connection.

The only time the internal ground relay should be disabled is when some external device creates the connection between neutral and safety ground. For example, if a 240 volt inverter is connected to an autotransformer to create 120/240 volt split phase power. It has it's own ground relay that is controlled by the Multi.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic