question

howard-r-jones avatar image
howard-r-jones asked

What are the Smart Solar MPPT 150/100 VE.CAN limitations in regard to output current?

Is there a possibility of damaging the unit if say PV voltage is kept below 150 volts at all times but the array size is such that it could output very much more than 100 amps without the limitation? I currently have a 24 volt setup with 2.4 kw panels. The output current can reach 75 amps. If I were to install a second 2.4 kw of PV in parallel, PV voltage is the same but potential output is 150 amps. Does the 150/100 reduce output to 100 amps irrespectice of overreach without damage. The second set of PV is to cover low solar input in winter but in Summer would not be needed. I have not found an answer to other questions which is directly related to this question.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Howard R Jones

The MPPT will max out at 100A without doing any damage to the device. It's the opposite when PV voltage goes beyond 150V, the unit will quickly die.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

howard-r-jones avatar image howard-r-jones commented ·

Thanks Stephanie for the quick reply. I has assumed that as I had not seen any serious warnings but I needed some confirmation prior to installing the new PV. Next year I am changing to a 48 volt lithium system with Multiplus II inverter and of course there will be no problems with the current into the new system at 48 volt and half the current I generate at the moment. Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ howard-r-jones commented ·
I should have added that it could potentially damage the solar charger in case of accidentally reverse polarity together with over current. This is not covered under warranty. Just so you know.

See also chapter 9.5.1. PV reverse current too high in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic