question

antiguasky avatar image
antiguasky asked

Orion TR 48/12-30 LED lights dimming when using other DC devices.

I’ve recently installed a 48V house system that’s using the above DC to DC converter. Whenever I use another 12V DC device like the water pump the draw causes the House LED lighting to flicker or dim. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to stabilize the 12V DC current?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

I would try any old 12V battery but that would cause constant power draw to keep that one recharged for a first test. Else a big capacitor could be the go. One for car amplifiers with one F can be picked up used for cheap and they are foil and not electrolyte so wear free and build for eternity. Next step would be a diode before the capacitor and the Leds so it is isolated and powers the Leds while the pump runs up and does not help to run the pump which would also flicker.

Funny thing is though, my lights flicker too and there is nothing else running up on an Orion

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

antiguasky avatar image antiguasky commented ·

Thank you for the response and ideas. I had the same thought about using a 12V battery in the circuit. I may do that to test whether the issue is feedback from the induction motor or a drop in current available to the lights. It would be nice to determine a way to filter the lights from the effect as opposed to placing a diode at each load point.

0 Likes 0 ·