question

bcborn avatar image
bcborn asked

Charge Controller Upgrade Renogy 200w Suitcase

Hello and Thanks from this newbie.

I recently purchased a 200w Renogy Eclipse Solar Suitcase. The Suitcase came wired in Parallel with a PWM Controller which I use to charge my two Interstate 12Volt 64Ah Batteries on my RV. Changing the panel over to Series wiring would be an overhaul as one panel is wired directly to the other panel via the junction boxes mounted on the panel.

I camp in Forested areas, so long periods of full sun is not always possible and would like to attain charging ability throughout the day. I also find my current lead acid battery setup bubbling over when charging.

Would upgrading the PWM charger to the Victron MPPT SmartSolar 75/15 benefit me? Would rewiring the panel to Series be a benefit on 200w as well?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jalles345 avatar image
jalles345 answered ·

Thanks for your interest!

Having solar panels wired in series can be a liability if one panel has full sunlight and the other has shade. To get full advantage of the power available leave them in parallel.

If the batteries are outgassing, they are likely being overcharged. This may be an issue with the PWM charge controller. Make sure to top the cells off with distilled water (only).

You should see a benefit with a MPPT charge controller, as it is more efficient. There is no need to re-wire the panel, as 200W is 200 Watts either way.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bcborn avatar image bcborn commented ·
I find myself in shade and the PWM controller does not produce a lot. shows .1amp. Has to be bright sun to see upwards of 3amps
0 Likes 0 ·