question

alltron avatar image
alltron asked

Victron not working as well as I expected

I just upgraded off grid inverter to Multiplus 2 3000/48 (with Smartshunt, Raspberry Pi Venus OS, Solarriver grid tie inverter) from my previous Voltronic 3500w inverter with Smartshunt and Solar Assistant. I have experienced so many issues with things not working as they are supposed to and after reading for many hours of others with similar problems and trying solutions suggested by others I still have not got a system that I am happy with and thought before I send all this gear back I would see if I could find any other help here.

Some of the issues I am experiencing are:

VRM and Venus are almost never in agreement. VRM especially saying batteries are charging when in fact they discharging. Even the symbols on the web may indicate correct current flow but says differently. I have never seem VRM actually correct ever even after waiting 30 secs for it to refresh or what ever.

With different configs on ESS still get power feeding back to grid even when settings are set to prevent that and the Multiplus should be winding down the power of the GTI - doesn't work!

I am testing using generator assistants to enable power assist and also switch on ac2 based on battery voltage to turn on or off GTI connected to it to prevent over charging and back feed. So far that seems to be working in that GTI is charging batteries as expected and not going back to grid as it does with ESS. I thought ESS was supposed to have some priority in charging batteries and THEN when fully charged send back to grid if allowed to in settings otherwise wind down GTI. That I cannot get to do AT ALL !

The speed of update and accurate information on the venus is so slow. My experience with Solar Assistant is that it is almost instant give or take a second and that includes the time taken to publish on internet and then back to my phone but the venus even using locally on network is nowhere near that and then VRM well you just have to wait. I don't understand why this is so bad.

For me the reporting of what is going on is just as important if not more than the reliability of the system to do what it is supposed to do and was expecting better than my other system when investing into Victron. I don't know how I could get all of this so wrong but happy for someone to suggest the obvious that I seem to be missing. All I know if I can't get this working then it is all going back.

If there is anyone that can tell me what I am doing wrong I would be greatful and I imaging many others that have expressed similar problems and don't have any answers could also benefit as well.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As long as the VRM portal doesn't say "real time update" at the top you will see "old" data's not matching with the local display.

As long as you are connected to the grid the MultiPlus is not able to do frequency shifting because it can't change the frequency of the whole grid. Frequency shifting only works without grid in inverter mode.

If you need zero feed-in you have to use a Fronius PV inverter or Victron MPPT chargers.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
Or setup a assistant to open the AC1 in relay on the Multi when battery voltage rises to say just below full voltage - this way the system will switch to inverting and allow frequency shift to work,

Or setup the venus gen autostart to turn a contractor on/off and put the contactor into the AC grid tie inverter AC output line so that the grid tie units can be turned off when you are on grid and the batteries are full.

0 Likes 0 ·
alltron avatar image
alltron answered ·

Ok thanks for you input. (I was expecting an email when someone commented and hence did not check sooner)

Ok so if it is inverter mode and power is more than inverter can deliver is required, does the power assist work so that it can use some of the grid to provide the power? I can only get it to Power assist when it is already connected to grid/generator.

2 |3000