question

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii asked

What is your SOC limit?

Hello I wonder how you have set your SOC.
I use an ESS and wonder how much battery charge I should leave for emergencies.

How do you handle it?

ESSSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
paulo-m avatar image
paulo-m answered ·

The default value seems to be 10% for ESS. I used the voltage settings recommended by victron for the pylontech batteries, and tested how much was between 10 and 5% to see if it was worth pushing the voltage of the batteries down. There seems to be <0.5kWh in it so left mine at 10%. At 10% the lowest cell voltage was 3.14V and at 5% 3.08V, but each system may be different so maybe test yours to make a decision.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paulo-m avatar image
paulo-m answered ·

The reason why there isn't much capacity at the high/low ends of the voltage is illustrated on the graph below. This is for EVE 304h LFP cells and may vary a bit between LFT batteries but gives an idea.eve-304ah-discharge-curve.jpeg

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

It all depends. How often are your outages and for how long, how much power do you need to consume?

How big are your packs and how quickly can you charge your batteries from solar, what if the weather is bad?

It's all down to your setup, environment and requirements.

In my own system It will be left at 30%, that's plenty of juice in the tank for most scenarios and offers a good battery life. When the grid falls apart and the weather is poor, I raise it.

2 |3000

lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Same as @nickdb 30% not taxing the bat too much.

Alternatively overnight usage +/- seasonal adjustment - so no surprises when waking up.

2 |3000

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

ok thanks for your input.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic