question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

Why would my Quattro 12V/5KW keep going to absorption mode?

Hi all. I have a Quattro 12V/5KW that has started going to Absorption mode every time it charges. I have LiFePO4 batteries and the settings have it only doing this every 7 days for an hour (max) ... any ideas of other stuff to check?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@eYacht

Absorption is the same target voltage as bulk. The only difference is the current drawn between the two stages. It is usually the stage where lifepo4 are balancing, so it should not be a problem.

The grid tab has these settings. You can check your reabsorption interval there. Usually it is set to an hour max on that tab. Unless you have smart batteries.

Or as suggested check for loose connections. That can also alter current draw, you would also see strange behaviour in discharge as well.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
@Alexandra This is not true ... bulk voltage is 13.4V; absorption is 14.2V. The absorption interval is set to 7 days for a max of 1hr. The question was: why is it going to absorption mode every time it charges?
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ eyacht commented ·

@eYacht

I would very much like you to post a picture of the settings.

I think you will see it is float and absorption that is set.

If you have adaptive and battery safe the systen will do what you are describing.

Then check how the battery is charging. In the absorption stage is it taking in current.

0 Likes 0 ·
eyacht avatar image eyacht Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra Yes - you are correct - my bad ... float is 13.4V (actually 13.5V) I was referring to - pic attached. However, AFAIK, that means that when in Bulk the voltage doesn't go above that and I've never seen higher than 13.5V when in Bulk unless it's on it's way to Absorption. As you can see the Adaptive curve is set.

12v-quattro-charger-settings.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ eyacht commented ·
@eYacht

You do have adaptive on, so the system will set how long it stays in each stage based on discharge and what the battery is drawing.

It will have completed bulk (constant current - CC) only when reaching the target voltage of 14.2 (red line), then hold it at that voltage (Constant Voltage) so the flat section of that line (now absorption) with the current tailing off - the blue line dropping down.

Then the voltage should drop back down to the 13.5V (blue line for current at 0) and it will discharge the system down to that voltage.

If you right click the adaptive setting and click what's this? it will give you more information.

0 Likes 0 ·
simon-ytterbom avatar image
simon-ytterbom answered ·

Hi @eYacht
I would check the voltage at the terminal of the Quattro to see if it is at the programmed ABS voltage (or check in GX). Perhaps you have a loose connection or similar in the system that causes this. Best to check what the quattro think is the voltage is and compare that to battery voltage under a load.
If you have more issues or can't figure it out, I recommend contacting your distributor. They will be able to help you further.

1 comment
2 |3000

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
@simon-ytterbom Thanks for this - the voltage at the Quattro, at the battery, and on the GX display are consistent with each other. New development last night - lost power at 1am and the Quattro kept tripping out with an overvoltage error. Was making horrible grinding noises as well. This morning I turned it back on and it stayed on but was making those grinding / vibrating noises for a while but is now quiet and seems to be working normally. I'll keep looking for loose connections but so far everything seems fine. I'm not in a country with access to a Victron dealer so that's not really an option at the moment.
0 Likes 0 ·