question

banana avatar image
banana asked

Zero load power (standby) and efficiency for 120V inverter/chargers for 24V boat

I'm looking for any real world experience with 120V inverter/chargers for a boat with 24V lithium batteries in terms of overall efficiency including standby power. There are limited options here, so alternatively, would a 230V unit feeding an autotransformer for the 120V power be a better option.

I think the conversion from 240V to 120V is unlikely to be the most efficient route but my options for a pure 120V inverter/charger would be limited to a MultiPlus 24/3000, MultiPlus-II 24/3000, or a Quattro 24/5000. The 3000s wouldn't be enough power and I would need a pair of them while the Quattro would probably be used by itself.

I've seen the datasheets. A pair of MultiPlus-II 24/3000 would use 13W each for a total of 26W with a max. efficiency of 94%. The Quattro would use 30W with the same max. efficiency while supplying a bit less power. I don't know how accurate these numbers are in the real world.

It seems like a pair of the new 24/3000s is the best option with a bit of redundancy at the cost of complexity, space, and weight. Does anyone disagree?

The 230V alternative mentioned above would be a MultiPlus-II 230V 24/5000: 18W standby and 96% max efficiency, and I've already got an autotransformer onboard. But most of our loads are 120V (including all cooking) and I can't imagine the trip through the autotransformer is going to be the most efficient route.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peter79 avatar image peter79 commented ·
Take my comment as first observations, for few days I'm already running 3x multiplus 5000 with 240V output and observed self consumption of these units (I do not know if the used method via VRM is correct) is 110 to 530W depending on load, datasheet value of 30W I have never seen, usually it is around 200W which equals to 70W per inverter. I'm comparing input and output power in vrm, what is missing I consider as self consumption (not sure if it is correct aproach)
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers