question

ronski avatar image
ronski asked

Frequency shifting with Solaredge SE4000-16A

We have an existing grid tied array, with Solaredge SE4000-16A inverter (no battery) installed in 2015, which we get FITS payments for.

I'm in the planning stage of adding an additional 5kw array to a 6 x 6 meter garage roof, and 14.5Kwh of battery storage.

The current plan is to divert the incoming grid connection via the garage, so basically meter tails removed from the CU, and put in to a 100amp fused switch, then 25mm SWA out to the garage (21 meters in length roughly), where there will be either a Multiplus II 48/8000 or 10000, then 25mm SWA back to the CU. The new array will use Victron MPPT charge controllers.

This in theory should mean we have whole house back up in the event of grid failure, with both arrays still working and powering loads/charging the batteries.

My question is, in the event of a grid failure, and the batteries being fully charged will the Multiplus II be able to control the output of the SolarEdge SE4000-16?

I've read this https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:gx_solaredge so I'm thinking that we may have to replace the SolarEdge inverter with an SE3500H or SE3680H, but I don't want to do this unless necessary?

PS. The DNO has approved G99 export of a total of 13kW, so no problems there.

frequency
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthew Deal avatar image
Matthew Deal answered ·

Yes, we have don the same thing, (almost)

We have our multiplus under the stairs, feed exactly the same way as you are planning,

I would check if 25mm2 cables for 100a is suitable over that distance tho,

If you make the inverter uk grid compliant (under settings)

Then add ess system as an assistant, (you will also need a gx device)

Then set the p.v inverter to start power limiting at 51hz and shut down at 52hz,

You will need a gx device to change the inverters monitoring of ac from external meter to internal meter, and then enable feed in excess solar,

When you Then throw the breaker the solar edge will turn off for 20 to 30 seconds, and the inverter will take over the house loads, the solar edge will come back on after 30 seconds, and when the batteries are fully charged if not grid connected it will turn off the solar inverter by lifting the HZ.

When connected to the grid it will just back feed to the grid.

If your UK and want to chat

07803187653 :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ronski avatar image
ronski answered ·

Just spoken to Matthew, very helpful, thank you. He has confirmed that the SE4000-16 will stop producing when the frequency rises above 52.5hz, he has a friend running a similar setup for over a year now. Note his system mentioned above is using a later inverter.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic