question

rvicev avatar image
rvicev asked

Minimum MultiPlus AC IN power required to get out of dead-lock

Assuming the following setup :
- off grid
- MultiPlus-II 5000/48
- solar inverter on AC OUT1 (i.e. ac-coupled, 5 kVA Fronius Primo, Fimer/ABB UNO-DM-Plus, or similar)
- 1-phase
- NO MPPTs

There has been little PV coming in and the batteries have been drained below the minimum SOC level configured in the MultiPlus, which therefore has stopped and thus the solar inverter has stopped also, because it no longer ¨sees¨ the (micro-)grid.

This is a dead-lock, reason for which Victron recommends to always have one or more MPPTs (of course also because battery charging is more efficient via MPPTs than via ac-coupling), but in this case there aren´t any.

Once the sun gets back, to get out of the dead-lock the MultiPlus has to be revived, so that the solar inverter can start again.

Best way to do that seems to :
- turn off all AC loads
- switch the MultiPlus to charging only
- apply some kind of power source to AC IN

It will take a little time for the solar inverter to start up and start producing again, enabling the MultiPlus to start charging the battery again, to a level above the minimum configured SoC.

During this start-up time the power source needs to provide sufficient power to the MultiPlus to allow it to start charging the batteries again, with PV power coming fro the solar inverter (the solar inverter itself should be taking its own power consumption from the PV, provided it ¨sees¨ the microgrid).

The power source can be a generator of course, but I am wondering if it could also be a powerstation (Bluetti, Ecoflow Delta, or home made) ? Basically my question is what the minimum capacity of such a power station would have to be ?

For example, a power station with a 140 Ah LiFePO4 battery with a maximum continuous discharge rate of 50A @ 12.8V, and a 12 VDC to 230 VAC pure sinus converter with a maximum efficiency of 85-90% would only provide just over 2A to the Multi´s AC IN .....

I know it is possible to limit the AC input current of the Mutli, but would 1 -2 A be sufficient ?

Multiplus-II
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lifeingalicia avatar image lifeingalicia commented ·

If the multi stopped on SOC and there is reserve SOC you should be able to reconfigure and yes limit charge to a bit less than 2A.

Set SOC lower and system should restart hoping that the multi accepts the sine wave ....

You could use an MPPT 12V - 52V charger and run a cable to your car battery....

0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image rvicev lifeingalicia commented ·
@lifeingalica : Thanks!

So if the Multi stops on lower limit SoC it´s still accessible ..... lowering the lower SoC limit would have the Multi re-start .... but then I wouldn´t need a powerstation at all, wouldn´t I ?

So if I set lower SoC limit to 20% and in bad whether conditions the Multi stops, I lower it temporarily (via a Cerbo or something similar ?) to 10% the moment the sun is shining again, the Multi re-starts and I should be o.k. ....?

I wouldn´t want to limit the charge current (if the sun is shining and there is a microgrid, the solar inverter should be able to deliver quite a bit more ...), I would only limit the AC IN current ?

Hadn´t thought about using the car engine as a solar input ..... interesting.

0 Likes 0 ·
tom4x avatar image tom4x rvicev commented ·

"Hadn´t thought about using the car engine as a solar input ..... interesting."

The car battery can't be used as solar input. What @Lifeingalicia meant was to charge the car battery with an MPPT (configure to 12V first!) and then use a 12V to 52V charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@rvicev

A black start and a dead lock are two completely different things. I think there has been a bit of a mixup between the two condition here.

A deadlock is when the system needs the GX to start up, but the GX is not powered up.

A black start is when the system has switched off completely because there is no battery power left or batteries are shut down in the case if lithium. (The GX is also off at this point so I can see how the two can be confused)

It is best to always set the inverters/system to shut down before the batteries do. That way the GX which should be powering up from the batteries will have power all the time.

A totally dead (black start) system can only really be recovered if:-

1. The battery reaches the system restart voltage/SOC (hence for auto recover from black start they recommend at least one small mppt with panels). This can, when solar starts up, also power up the GX allowing a remote generator start as well if it is set up)

2. A generator is switched on, connected to AC1 with sufficient power to start up the system (unless of course you switch off all the loads)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@tom4x

Was already wondering about that. I wouldn´t be using the car battery - that´s why I will be having a power station .... A 12V to 48V charger is possible of course but tends to be expensive. With the power station I will be having a 12Vdc to 230 Vac converter anyway, that´s why I suggested to connect this to the AC IN of the MultiPlus. But with @Lifeingalicia and @Alexandra clarifications this appears not necessary.

@Alexandra

Thanks for your clarification - I should have used the phrase ¨black start¨ instead of ¨dead lock¨, and my question therefore relates to your point 2. ¨the sufficient power¨ of the generator .....

So if I set a minimum SoC of say 20% and the Multi stops because of not enough solar power coming in, then there is still some power left in the batteries and the GX device remains functional.

Once the sun is back, if I then temporarily switch of all loads and temporarily lower the minimum SoC setting - as @Lifeingalicia suggested, using the GX device the Multi comes back to life and therefore also the solar inverter. Nothing else needed.

Once the solar inverter is providing enough power and the SoC increases I can then gradually start activating the loads (and of course not forget to reset the minimum SoC to is previous value)

Right ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@rvicev

The SOC shutdown/restart would need to be done with an MK3 on the grid tab of the inverter, so a bit of a fiddle.

0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@Alexandra

OK - if the GX device can´t do this, I agree that´s a bit of a fiddle, but remains an option.

If we forget the lowering of the minimum SoC option for a moment, back to my original question : if I hook up a power station with only ca 2A output to AC IN, and the Multi is configured to limit the power from AC IN to 2A, will that work ?

This may take a while of course, with only 2A coming in .....

1 comment
2 |3000

You will not be able to limit to 2A in as far as I know. Especially not if you have ess assistant on.

Ideally you would want to raise SOC or voltage (whatever is chosen) to the restart level so would need to have enough battery capacity on the feed in to do so.

If you have a 10kWh battery set to shut down at 10% SOC and restart at 15% you would need to charge up .7kwh roughly, do not know many portable items that carry that kind of capacity where you are not killing the battery in it to do this.

So you possibly could power up the system, redo the programming and then restart. Again a fiddle. When a few panels and a small charge controller would be easier and possibly cheaper than a bluetti. What are they 1300usd ish..? That is easily a 150/60 and some panels. And you will charge up at a faster rate.

2A at 230V is 460W charging a 48v system at 9.5A. even a 100/20 48 with a panel or two on is still a better option.

0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@Alexandra

Thanks - food for thought !

According to the Victron ¨minimum shore current limits¨ spreadsheet there should be no lower limit, as long as you don´t use PowerAssist.

The power station I will be building anyway for other purposes, at lower cost (yes, Blueti etc are (too) expensive - a big one over here is > 2 K usd).

Your point about MPPT is absolutely valid, although you oversimplify it somewhat.

Local regulations require breakers, DC lightning protection (+breaker) etc per MPPT string, and if panels are at some distance this must be done at both ends (i.e. at the panel side as well as at the MPPT side). Panels for MPPT would go at the expense of panels for ac-coupling because of lack of space, etc. Also, I like simple systems = few components; going though hundreds of pages on this forum, the Victron web-site and manuals over the last 3 months has only made me more anxious to keep the system set-up as simple as possible .....

1 comment
2 |3000

@rvicev

If you want to simplify, then with such a small system use all DC mppts. System integration is simpler as well.

A 5kVa ac coupled will easily be supplied by a 450/100 or a 250/100 as that is 5kVa of solar right there.

I deally you would want that plus extra for battery charging. So 10kVa.

0 Likes 0 ·
rvicev avatar image
rvicev answered ·

@Alexandra

We have been deviating a little from the original question, and re-reading the whole discussion there is something which strikes me as odd. In the MultiPlus manual I read :

3.OPERATION
3.1 On/Off/Charger Only Switch

When the switch is switched to ‘charger only’, only the battery charger of the Multi will operate (if mains voltage is present). In this mode
input voltage also is switched through to the ‘AC out’ terminal.

To me that suggests that if I switch the Multi to ´charger only´ and I apply power to AC IN, then there is a microgrid on AC OUT1 and therefore the ac-coupled solar inverter can start again, thus supplying the necessary power to the Multi to charge the batteries to raise the SoC (to above re-start level), whereafter the Multi may be switched to ¨on¨ again.

I.e. the power would not have to come from the power source at AC IN (weak power station) ? If so, there will be no problem at all. Or doesn´t this work that way after the Multi has stopped based on low SoC ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Whatever way you power your AC PV you will need to adhere to the 1:1 requirement.

0 Likes 0 ·