question

pau-adell avatar image
pau-adell asked

Is there any system with which I can use a X inverter for solar panels and another Y (smaller) inverter for a battery?

I will explain my situation so that you understand the question better. I live in a house with 6.6 kW of contracted power (I have a swimming pool and an electric car that I charge slowly without any problem). I currently have 32 square meters of solar panels with their own 6kW inverter. I recently learned how I could drastically harness the energy I have left over during the day if I added batteries to the system. I would love to buy a Victron MultiPlus-II for the battery, but also most likely in the distant future I will increase my consumption. The problem is that according to the FACTOR 1.0 RULE I should buy the Victron MultiPlus-II of 8kW but this one can not be paralleled (which prevents me in the future to increase my consumption). My question is, can I somehow use only one of 5kW for the batteries or am I forced to buy 2 of 5kW? I do not want to spend that much money now as I want to invest it in the battery.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Hi

You need to read up on ESS. Basically the decissions are:

Do I want/need "UPS"? If so can I easily seperate out critical load and non critical load and how much is the critical load?

What happens if grid fails my bats are empty ? Do I need "black start capability".

If the above is not important and assuming you have just grid and solar PV and want to use excess - you can go grid parallel and ignore "UPS" or critical load by just connecting AC IN which works both ways.

The Rule 1.0 only applies if you use "critical loads" (AC out 1) and have AC coupled PV on this string.

If the PV is just on the Grid line it stopps when grid fails and starts when grid is available again, so does the multi as it will not feed in to prevent any electrician downline to get a nasty shock.....

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-introduction---features.html

Basically you do this

1658658063874.png

1658658063874.png (82.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.