question

nicolas-poitras avatar image
nicolas-poitras asked

Smart Shunt Wiring Question

Hello. I want to install a Victron Smart Shunt in my Airstream. The two lithium batteries are located outside in the battery box and 2 negative wires come into the coach. One goes to the Inverter and the other to negative bus. Can I connect those two negative cables from the batteries to the battery side of the shunt? Or do I absolutely need a single cable from the batteries to the shunt? Thanks.

SmartShuntwiring diagram
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Yes. You can.

No. You don't.

However the connection is made, it's critical that the battery be the only thing connected to that side of the shunt, with all loads, sources and ground on the other side of the shunt.

Consider that two wires will require over-current protection on each. If the gauge is sufficient, I would simply run one wire from the (-) terminal to the shunt and then from the load side to the DC bus.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Consider that two wires will require over-current protection on each.

Usually battery fuses are installed on the positive wires.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The two lithium batteries are located outside in the battery box and 2 negative wires come into the coach. One goes to the Inverter and the other to negative bus.

Assuming batteries are in parallel.

Each wire comes from the same battery post (and the batteries are connected in parallel with another wires)?

Or each wire comes from each battery (and there is no other connection between the two negative battery posts)?

2 |3000

Related Resources