question

cporath avatar image
cporath asked

Another MPPT Calculator question - SmartSolar 100/20

I used the MPPT sizing calculator and have some questions about the results. Here are my inputs using a custom module:

Wp: 175

1 series 2 parallel

Voc: 23.9

Isc: 9.5

Vmpp: 19.5

Impp: 8.89

System voltage 12.

When I enter this information the calculator recommended a SmartSolar 100/20 which is what I purchased. In reading the specs on the 100/20 and in looking at the output once it was installed I see it can only handle 280 watts at 12 volts. Is this undersized for my panels? Am I wasting 70 watts of input?

Thanks,

Chris

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There's a more detailed explanation on it way, but given the way panels work, most of the time not.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @cporath,

Thanks for your post. Sorry for the delay in replying, it has triggered a few changes behind the scenes, and I wanted to make sure they were all complete first.

The oversizing ratio used in the recommended design is now shown when you click to reveal the calculations:

cleanshot-2022-08-01-at-185852.jpg

I have also updated the blog post that is linked when you click the (i) that explains a little bit about why we allow an oversizing ratio in the design; it's under the heading "Oversizing a PV array"

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2014/03/28/matching-victron-energy-solar-modules-to-the-new-mppt-charge-regulators/

While that covers the essential gist of the situation - there is some more colour I can add here.

There is a good article that models some of the effect of this oversizing clipping - https://www.solarchoice.net.au/blog/should-you-oversize-your-solar-array-undersize-your-inverter/

Enphase has published an even more in-depth and scientific approach here - https://www4.enphase.com/sites/default/files/Enphase_White_Paper_Module_Rightsizing.pdf

From their data - in a perfect solar day - with a 120% sizing, you capture the orange section, but lose the grey section:

cleanshot-2022-07-15-at-154036.jpg

Over 12 months - you lose a total of much less than 1% of production from a 130% panel oversize.

cleanshot-2022-07-15-at-154537.jpg

And that is performance when brand new - the difference is reduced even further as time goes on and the panel output drops from its rating.

So while at first glance it looks like you might be losing 30% of the potential from the spec sheets, when taken in the real world as an energy harvest over time, the results make that a very efficient and cost effective design.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@cporath

In other words Victron are saving you money at their expense by not selling you as big a controller as you thought you need...

0 Likes 0 ·