question

nfluester avatar image
nfluester asked

Quattro power rating stupid question

Hi there,

I've been very happy using a multiplus for several years but about to be switching to a boat that includes an on board generator.

my stupid question is a sanity check in the fact that the quattro doesn't necessarily have to sized to the same KV as the generator?

EG the KV rating of the quattro in my case 12v either 3000 or 5000 denotes the inverter output like the multiplus and not the max size of the generator as that feeds through like the shore power on the multiplus and is limited to 50A @ 230V in the case of the smaller Quattro.

in my case i have a 5KV generator but only looking to purchase a 3000 quattro but can use power share or maybe even set an amp draw threshold that will switch the generator on.

2nd question can i choose to route the generator to either AC output 1 or 2 eg either have the generator just used for large loads connected to AC2 like imersion or induction cooking or have it share the output requirements of the main AC ring connected to AC1

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@nfluester

I was once told by my Grandad, the only stupid question is the one that was not asked. Still trying to work out exactly what he meant ;).

Sizing a 3kVa Quattro to a 5kVa genertaor is more correct. You want to be able to run the full load on the inverter and charge your battery at the same time. So a better sizing ratio two thumbs up there.

You can have it connected to either AC1 or AC2 for input. The difference is really that AC1 is the only one you can black start (batteries 100% DOD) recover your system from. So depends on your useage.

For your larger loads, you can pass power through the inverter, or have a bypass switch to run directly on the Generator. I would lean toward the bypass if it is higher load then the 2400W inverting, just in case the generator gets kicked out for any reason and the inverter has to take on the load.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nfluester avatar image
nfluester answered ·

thanks for the reply thats good news i have saved myself a grand :-)

So I don't need a 5kva quattro just because I have a 5kva generator and as u say i still have headroom to charge the battery i assume you can set up all these limits and thresholds on the Cerbo GX?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Yes. All input current limits can be set in the GX if overuled by remote is checked on the multiplus.

Battery charging current can be set as well.

0 Likes 0 ·