question

dieterdirk avatar image
dieterdirk asked

Rookie Multiplus questions

Hey there,

im really no expert at all… so please bare with me :)

i have a small system (around 1000w) that id like to get a ups battery setup for. Im looking at the small multiplus units with a lifepo4 battery. There is a few things i dont understand:

- is this an offline or online ups? Meaning, does the power still pass through the battery if the mains line is connected? Or only in the case of a mains line loss?

- whats the units efficiency when the main lines are connected? And what wattage is drawn in that scenario?

- there is the ve.bus smart dongle and the ve.direct bluetooth smart dongle. Which one do i need in order to access settings via ios?

thanks a lot!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

When the network is present then the backfeed relay will close and the converter operates in charger mode. Energy from the network at AC-IN is passed through to the output. The load is powered directly from the network and the battery is charged from the network if necessary.
If the network fails then the backfeed relay will open and the converter will switch from charger to inverter mode and supply the loads at the output from the battery.
If the network returns, then the converter will synchronise with the network and once ready the backfeed relay will close and then the converter switches to charger mode.

Since the network energy is passed through the losses are negligable. There will be losses in the charger for energy going towards the battery. These losses are dependent upon the rate of charge.
Also there is the zero load power consumption for the operation of the device. This varies from model to model, the figures are highlighted in the respective datasheets.

MultiPlus' use VE.Bus for communication.
VE.Bus Smart Dongle allows monitoring and basic operation of the device.
For advanced configuration the MK3-USB is the tool for the job. Not sure if IOS devices have USB connections on them, but a MK3-USB with VE.Configure software for Windows allows full configuration.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dieterdirk avatar image
dieterdirk answered ·

Thanks a lot!

2 |3000