question

Patrick Kelly avatar image
Patrick Kelly asked

Victron refusing to repair my 12 year old MultiPlus inverter

I’ve got a 12 year old 24/3000 that’s started to fail: won’t hand over to my generator if the load jumps and the batteries are too low to handle it. I’ve been told by the sale team here in Spain that it is not repairable and I’ll have to buy a new one. Why? Surely a company such as Victron should at least offer to repair and not simply say the unit is too old without even looking at it. Sorry, but I think such a blanket refusal to repair one of their units is unacceptable. Anyone else had such experience? How did you get around it? We live completely off-grid in rural Spain and the inverter is essential.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robertg66 avatar image robertg66 commented ·

Hi,

Try this repair shop https://sites.google.com/site/rischservice/. or maybe a local repair shop in Spain.

Robert

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan commented ·

The way I would look at it is.

The inverter is the hardest working part in the system, they do fail eventually.

Victron probably don't have the parts required as they went through many revisions internally.

I.E The Multi you bought 12yrs ago has different internal parts than a new Multi.

Is it sad that your inverter is failing, yes.

Did you get a reasonable life out of the investment?

12yrs I would say so, it would have paid itself off many times over from power generated vs the cost of power if bought from the grid.

This gives you a chance to upgrade to a newer and more efficient version like the Multiplus II

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ alan commented ·
How many manufacturers can repair 12 year old kit these days?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
patricknl avatar image
patricknl answered ·

As far as I know there are quite a lot propriatary parts in these devices which are build to spec for the device. It could be that they don’t have the parts anymore and thus can’t repair it… This could explain why they won’t even take a look at it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Patrick Kelly avatar image
Patrick Kelly answered ·

OK: disappointing but understandable. Looks like I’m stuck with investing in a new inverter and/or system update. Expensive ‘opportunity’.

2 |3000