question

techmuc avatar image
techmuc asked

Multiplus 2 expected noise

I know there are a few threads already but I am curious if there are any experiences for the noise of the multiplus 2 in the following setup :

• One multiplus 2 3000
  • 2 Pylontech us2000c batteries
  • Charging via smartsolar
  • Installed in parallel to grid with power to grid with Ess and only ac in in use (=if battery is full and my consumption is lower than the production, the delta should be put to grid)
  • No additional inverter or DC loads
  • Em24 to measure the current consumption

Questions :

1. If I install the multi plus in a basement below my living room, separated by one (normal) door: would you expect the noise to be audible?
  2. Under which circumstances/operating mode do I have the highest noise (charging, inverting? I heard a lot about noise when charging which is confusing me as the smartsolar is not audible..)
  3. Under which load does the noise start? (1kw? 2 kw? Always?) reason : if e.g. Noise starts at 1kw I could limit the power to grid to 1 kW if my current consumption is lower. I could live with noise when I am e.g. Cooking, but not in normal operation.

Thanks a lot for any response,

Br timo

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 answered ·

I have a Multiplus-II in the basement directly below our family room. The door to the basement is in the corner of the family room and is usually open. The Multiplus can make a sort of brief "pulsing" noise when charging intermittently or when an intermittent load is placed on it. When I run a 1500-watt coffee machine, after the tank is up to temp, it "pulses" the heating for about one second every 10 seconds. When the Multiplus is inverting, the sound is more consistent and could be audible at the top of the stairs if the rest of the house were quiet and I was listening for it.

But ordinarily, the sound is not audible anywhere upstairs even with the basement door open. I did have a sound issue with a Multiplus Compact mounted to a plywood board in my RV. The "hum" from the Compact would resonate on the plywood and amplify the sound which was easily audible when the surrounding noise levels were lower.

I do believe the method I used to mount the Multiplus-II in the basement makes a significant difference. I used concrete screws to attach a 3/4" plywood board to the foundation wall, then used more concrete screws to attach a 1/4" fiber backing board (the kind used to underlay tile) to and through the plywood into the foundation wall. I believe this combination of mounting boards and the security of the screws into the concrete completely inhibit any resonance.

Summing up, the Multiplus-II is not normally audible at all upstairs. But if the surroundings are very quiet, and you're listening for it, and it's cycling the inverter or charger on and off, I might be able to hear it. If I'm down in the basement, it is noticeable all the time, but not to the point of annoyance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

techmuc avatar image techmuc commented ·
Thanks a lot for your detailed response. Is your multiplus parallel to the grid?
0 Likes 0 ·
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Multi Ii 3kw parallel to the grid.

Transformer hums louder under load Vent kicks in under load ≥500 W or so.

It's in a storeroom. Simple wooden door hardly notice outside,

But it sits on a detached studwall To prevent noise transmission when fixing to a normal wall some rubber fixings will help

1 comment
2 |3000

techmuc avatar image techmuc commented ·
Thanks. I will Simply Tr it out. If too loud I can still send it back :)
0 Likes 0 ·
johanp avatar image
johanp answered ·

Just for the record I just installed a Multiplus 2 48/5000/70 and it has a very loud 50Hz hum. Only when Grid power is present and not dependant if its charging or not.

2 |3000