question

rick-jackson avatar image
rick-jackson asked

Problem recharging batteries with generator.

I have a new standalone solar system with the following:

10 x Longi LR4-60HPH-370M Solar Panel (3.7 KW)1
1 x 24V 3000W Victron Easysolar Inverter/Charger
2 x PowerPlus LiFe Eco 24V LFP 3.8kWhr Battery

I was told I would require a 5.5kva generator to recharge when necessary, and purchased a 6kva Gensafe. Problem is, the inverter will not accept charge from it. I'm told it is because it does not have a clean sine wave as it is a "construction" generator, but a Toolex 8kva borrowed from a neighbour is accepted.

When I attempt to charge with the Gensafe generator there are a couple of audible clicks coming from the inverter, repeated several minutes later. The manufacturer describes the generator as "A stable sine-wave alternator with ± 5% harmonic distortion" Here's a link to info on it: https://sydneytools.com.au/product/gensafe-gs6kvawc-6kva-11hp-petrol-generator-with-earth-leakage-powered-by-honda

I am very grateful to anyone who can offer me some guidance with this, as I am not well versed in this area.

Generator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rick-jackson avatar image rick-jackson commented ·
The solar installer's electrician was here this morning and checked settings. He claimed to have previously switched off UPS, however when he switched it on, then off again, all was well and the generator is now charging the batteries. Wizardry, divine intervention, incompetence? Who knows?

But thanks to Trevor Bird, Mathias Lang and Alistair Warburton the problem is resolved, and I am very grateful to you all for your contribution to this being so.

Have a great day!

1 Like 1 ·
3 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

Hello @Rick Jackson …. Please try switching off the UPS feature on the easy solar unit. The input is much more forgiving if the UPS feature is “off”. I think you may find this will resolve the issue.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Trevor, I finally found out how to reply, not very obvious as it turns out. Thanks so much for your suggestion, but as far as I can tell there is nowhere I can make any alterations to the settings. The inverter has only a single button which allows me to scroll through the data, nothing more, and the monitor also has nothing. I noticed I am listed in Users as "monitor only", so that could be why I am unable to make changes.

Is it in the online monitor that you would make this change?

What is UPS? I figure PS is power supply, but what does the U signify?

On Monday I will certainly direct the installers attention to the responses I received here as they have not mentioned any of this in our conversations. This could get interesting!

Again, much gratitude for your response, and I'll update on Monday, if not before.

Have a great night.

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird rick-jackson commented ·
UPS means uninterruptible power supply. The multiplus will be less sensitive to mains input anomalies if the UPS function is switched off. This may be the reason your multiplus is rejecting the generator mains.
0 Likes 0 ·
Solution found, see comment above. Thank you for your contribution.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

What settings for the grid are configured in the EasySolar?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Mathias,

As mentioned in my reply to Trevor above, I have no access to setting, and I do not see anywhere in the monitor online that gives me the information you mention. I also just remembered that the electrician mentioned that the inverter usually has other display features not present on this one, and that may be part of the issue. I just took a shot of it which I will attach.

I'm going to bring all these responses up with the installers on Monday and see what they have to say. Meanwhile I am very grateful for your response, and will get back to you when I have spoken with them.

Have a great night.img-1851.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1851.jpg (816.7 KiB)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alistair Warburton avatar image
Alistair Warburton answered ·

I had/have issues with a generator of approximately that size... I don't know if it is a poor unit or just a bad AVR in the one I have but it isn't a properly clean output making a couple of my cheaper LED's flicker a bit. It also isn't all that good at maintaining a stable speed when it is cold so...

To get it to work I have switched off the UPS function, as suggested above, and also enabled accept wide voltage and frequency.

Additionally I found that turning on the week AC setting helped with the initial connection, and the dynamic current limit mostly prevents trips due to sudden load changes.

In addition make sure you have a realistic AC current limit set...
Check the generator voltage and frequency with no load, if either are at the low end of what is acceptable then a modest load could easily cause you to disconnect as soon as the load is applied.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hello Alistair,

Thanks for your response and suggestions. As mentioned in replies above I have no access to setting so will raise this with the installers on Monday.

That is an interesting suggestion re the generator, and I will have an electrician check that for me. The generator is only about three months old and has had no use other than attempting to charge the solar batteries, but who knows? It could lead to the solution.

I am very grateful for your response and will get back to you when I have followed up with these suggestions.

Have a great night

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan rick-jackson commented ·

I suggest you do a lot of reading about how to configure the victron system.

To change the UPS setting (and many more) you need to use VEConfig.

If you don't have a programming cable you will need to do this via Remote VEConfig through VRM.

There is a wealth of information here
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/start?do=index

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Likes 0 ·