question

waynec avatar image
waynec asked

Pv array strings voltage drop when combined

My PV array series strings are 6 panels long, there are 5 strings. Each panel in the string is 100watt 20volt, 6.25 amp.

The voltage of each string before connecting to the combiner box is 108 volts in full sun 80% (great) but after connecting any of two strings together the voltage drops to 90 volts.

Being new to solar thought I should ask if this is normal or do I have a problem?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
hardy-tuner avatar image
hardy-tuner answered ·

the current of each string is the same?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

waynec avatar image
waynec answered ·

yes, 107.5 volts on every string of 6 panel

1 comment
2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell commented ·

I assume that this is when there is no current flow from the string, so this is the open circuit voltage Voc.

When you combine a string to the combiner box, is the solar controller working at this point or are the panels still not supplying current.

I ask because once the panels start delivering power the voltage will drop close to the maximum power voltage Vmp which is lower than the open circuit. Check your panel specs for Voc and Vmp.

If when connected to the combiner box they are providing power then the voltage drop is expected, but if they are not delivering power then I can not explain it.

0 Likes 0 ·
waynec avatar image
waynec answered ·

VMP is 102volts total on each string of 6 panels.

Each string tested 107.5 volts before attaching to the midnight solar only, not on to the charger controller because the breakers are in the off position.

Apart each string tested 107.5 volt and as soon as I attach then in parallel with each other the voltage drops to 90 volts

Amps are the expected double with 2 strings and the expected triple with 3 strings combined.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

@WayneC ….May I suggest one of the strings is polarity reversed. Check that each of the three strings has the positives joined and the negatives joined. One of them is reversed.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alistair Warburton avatar image Alistair Warburton commented ·
I will scond that...

If the combiner box is dumb, just connectors, then there should be no current anywhere when the strings are connected up but isolated from the charge controller. If you se current on w or more strings then you have circulating currents... BAD

You may have a string reversed or you may have a shaded string that is not being protected from reverse current by a diode.

Many modern panels contain bypass diodes to allow current from fully lit panels to bypass shaded panels, and even parts of them. However 'most' do not contain reverse feed protection, which used to be a common.

Get yourself a DC clamp meter, you dont want to be messing with physically connected current measurments at 100V.

Then check for currents in all connected strings, one at a time as you hook them up.

Also note that MC connectors are NOT rated to be connected and especially disconnected, whils under load, IE when a current is flowing, the prescence of voltage is not an issue.

18V Voc, the open circuit voltage, seems low. Typically 12V 'nominal' would have an open circuit voltage between 21 and 23 with a Vmpp, maximum power point, in the region of 17-18V.

Of course there are many brands and configurations of panels so I may be way off base but you should check you are seeing the voltages you expect based on the spec.

0 Likes 0 ·
waynec avatar image waynec Alistair Warburton commented ·
Thank you

I did check the polarity but will go check it again. Nothing shaded the strings are all in full sun.

0 Likes 0 ·
waynec avatar image
waynec answered ·

I bought a new voltmeter just in case and rechecked the polarity and its correct., checked the amps and the voltage. The voltage on each string today is 108 volts, amps around 4.

I have 5 stings with (6x 100watt panels on each string). 3 strings going to a Midnight solar combiner box and 2 strings going through a homemade PV combiner box.

As soon as any string is connected to another in either combiner box the voltage drops to 90 volts.

With the old voltmeter.

Update; ......All strings combined or not now read the same voltage before entering the charger controller. Nothing to change but the voltmeter. For some reason the extra Amps was pulling the voltage reading down. Can't explain it but I now have a new but much nicer Voltmeter.

The charger controllers is (now) connected and working. I'm getting the correct watts to match the volts x Amps.

Thank you all

Make it a great day!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic