question

luphi avatar image
luphi asked

Multiplus trickle charge + alternator

What happens, if you trickle charge the starter battery from a Multiplus while the engine is running?

Will the higher voltage coming from the alternator kill the trickle charge?

Cheers,

luphi

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I have the trickle charge set up on my boat and there is no problem. I imagine that when the alternator runs and increases the voltage then less or no current flows through the trickle charge. As far as I know the trickle charge has a diode and a current limiter. Therefore, the starter battery is normally 0.4V to 0.6V lower than the domestic batteries. If the starter battery is higher it does not charge backwards. The only thing to remember is that the trickle charger is always live, it feeds off the inverter DC input. I like this because it means that when I am away from the boat long term, the solar keeps the domestic batteries charged and the boat systems running, but it also keeps the starter and bow thruster batteries topped up. You have to remember to isolate it if you do work on the engine electrics, alternator or starter etc. as it will keep these live.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

luphi avatar image
luphi answered ·

Thank you for your explanation, I just wanted to make sure, that the higher voltage from the alternator will not harm the Multi's trickle charge.

Cheers,

luphi

2 |3000