question

yyzrc avatar image
yyzrc asked

MultiPlus II 12/3000/120 - generator as input, how do I charge battery?!

My system:

MultiPlus II 12/3000 120v

BMS Smart 12-200 (not connected to alternator)

Victron Lithium 200ah

I am installing the MultiPlus II in a boat with shore power and generator AC sources.

If I use the generator as the AC input on the MultiPlus, the battery will only charge when the generator is running. The whole point of this setup is to avoid running the generator as much as possible.

How can I wire this up so that it charges when on shore power and outputs AC to the generator circuit when not on shore power?

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
@YYZRC How are you switching between the 2 different sources of power giving that the multiplus has only a single input?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
yyzrc avatar image
yyzrc answered ·

I was sold a MultiPlus and I realize now that I need a Quattro.

I will wire the AC input on the Multiplus to the “shore power 1” input selector switch (Blue Sea 9077) on my AC panel and the AC output on the MultiPlus to the “shore power 2” input on the selector switch on my AC panel (which I do not use currently). I will remove the shore power inlets for shore power 2.

Big thank you to Peter Kennedy for the help in coming up with a workaround to make the MultiPlus work for my application. PKYS.com

Lesson here is that if you have a boat with a genny, you need a Quattro.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.