question

yannick avatar image
yannick asked

MPPT fails to find MPP after partial shading

Hi all,

I have a problem with my bluesolar mppt. It's connected to a single 100Wp panel, gives good power until the panel becomes partially shaded.

When the panel is partially shaded the mppt loses the VMPP (17,5V) and starts hunting around 21-22V which is the VOC of the panel. This behaviour continues when there is no shading anymore, leaving the production to only a few watts. The next morning it starts all over again, good production until the first shadow hits the panel.

screenshot-20220629-144022.jpg

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

I had an older Epever Tracer MPPT that used to do this, the only way to get it back on track was to open and close the isolator between the panel and the MPPT to essentially start all over again. That was a well known problem with those controllers, I have never heard of a Victron doing this because normally every 10 minutes or so they should do a new sweep.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Looks as if the shading has tricked the controller into float mode. You'll need to confirm. If so...

There are some settings that can help.

Increase charged detection time start by doubling it.

Reduce tail current from the default 4%.Try 2%.

If absorption voltage is lower than the max for your battery increase to max.

Set rebulk voltage % lower.

By experimenting, you'll be able to tune it to local conditions.

2 |3000