question

ettienne avatar image
ettienne asked

Multiplus or Multiplus II unit with solar charge controller

I want to purchase a Victron Multiplus 48/3000 unit to use for backup power in times of load-shedding. I am thinking of later linking a solar panels and Victron 150/60 charge controller. Do I rather need to go for the MultiPlus II unit if I want the option of power assist from the solar system through day time to save on electricity bills?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

Hi Ettienne

"Will the Multiplus also be able to do this... MPPT feed the house and excess going to battery and if power is not enough, the system will top up from the grid?"

Yes this is correct. The MPPT will directly charge the battery and the Multiplus-II will use the battery power to supply the house. If the MPPT delivers more current than that used by the Multiplus, then the battery will increase in charge. Eventually the battery will be 100% full and excess power can then be used to export back to the Grid (if allowed and correctly configured).

Similarly, if the Multiplus uses more current than that supplied by the MPPT, the battery will discharge until a programmable point (voltage or battery SOC) when the Multiplus will start using the Mains Grid to charge the battery.

Note that a system using the Multiplus-II and MPPT also requires the Color Control GX or Venus controller to make the magic happen.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ettienne avatar image ettienne commented ·

The Multiplus II is currently 23% more expensive than the Multiplus. I am wondering if it is worth paying the difference then?

0 Likes 0 ·
nigelfxs avatar image nigelfxs ettienne commented ·

The extra grid relay in the MP2 is needed in some countries (e.g. South Africa) to comply with their Anti-Islanding requirements. Adding an external anti-islanding relay module will cost a lot more than the 23% cost premium of the MP2...

See https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-to-MultiGrid-and-MultiPlus-comparison-EN.pdf for more info.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hello Ettienne

To my knowledge, just ensure the unit has the latest firmware chip as it is also a requirement for ESS. Be aware the Multiplus II is the replacement for the Multigrid/Multiplus range as these models are being phased out. It is also smaller and more efficient. I recently installed a multiplus II and the flexibility is immense. I use MPPT, which supplies the house with excess going to charge the battery. In the event of poor power generation to charge the battery, the system will top up from the grid when available.

Hope this helps.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you very much for the information

0 Likes 0 ·

Quote "I recently installed a multiplus II and the flexibility is immense. I use MPPT, which supplies the house with excess going to charge the battery. In the event of poor power generation to charge the battery, the system will top up from the grid when available."

Will the Multiplus also be able to do this... MPPT feed the house and excess going to battery and if power is not enough, the system will top up from the grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi Etienne. Both those models have the same functionality, and can both work as a solar system. The difference is that the MP 2 unit has an extra grid relay built in, and is obviously the newer version with latest components. I would go with the MP2 as it will be supported in future where the current Multiplus will be phased out.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you very much for the information

0 Likes 0 ·