question

Trond Hindenes avatar image
Trond Hindenes asked

is internal bluetooth supposed to work at all on venus os with raspberry?

did anyone manage to activate the internal bluetooth adapter on the raspberry pi?
I'm running Venus OS 2.90 large.

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

Yes it works perfectly on Pi2/Pi3. I think it also works on Pi4, but the newest Pi hardware rev. had issues. Not sure if that is sorted yet. So it all depend on which Pi you want to use.
On the Pi Zero2 the bluetooth also work with the custom build. I have not tested the latest 2.90~14 that has native PiZ2 support.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trond Hindenes avatar image Trond Hindenes commented ·

Thanks! Which venus os version are you using? did you have to do anything in order to activate the bluetooth radio? I'm using the raspberry pi 3 btw.

0 Likes 0 ·
Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt Trond Hindenes commented ·

I'm using 2.84 and 2.87

The Pi3 has no issues. Write the firmware to the SD card, plug it in and switch on. Then open VictronConnect on your phone to set of the Wifi on your Pi3 and the rest you can do on any browser on the same network to http://venus.local/

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Trond Hindenes On the latest VenusOS beta image (2.90~13 and greater) There is support for the PI2, Pi3, Pi4 (all board revisions) and RPI Zero2W. Bluetooth works on all these. Below is screen shots from Victron Connect on my Mac, and connections too PI4 and Pi3.

1655975510871.png1655975621026.pngimg-31a688d86e52-1.jpeg

You might need to delete the pairing in the devices bluetooth setting to set it up again, as the PIN will have been reset to default through the re-imaging.

1655975510871.png (239.5 KiB)
1655975621026.png (224.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Trond Hindenes avatar image
Trond Hindenes answered ·

Thanks! I should have clarified: I'm trying to get bluetooth to work so that I can connect Ruuvi sensors, basically make "bluetooth" show up in the IO menu in the remote console (see https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/140258/venus-os-v29014-available-for-testing.html)

2 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·
@Trond Hindenes Have you got into Settings, IO, Bluetooth sensors and enabled it. You can then select sensors.
0 Likes 0 ·
Trond Hindenes avatar image Trond Hindenes bathnm commented ·
my problem is that under IO, there is no "bluetooth sensors" option. I started this thread to try and figure out why.
0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@Trond Hindenes have just checked in my Pi3. The menus for Bluetooth exist under IO. If you do not have them the first thing I would check is that you are in the latest beta and that config.txt has not been modified in the /u-boot directory. There are config options in their that can impact the PI3

2 |3000

paulhowes avatar image
paulhowes answered ·

Sorry to bring up an old thread. Did you ever resolve this issue.

My pi 3b+ died and I've used a spare 3b but the Bluetooth is not visible in the menu along with WiFi etc.

Can anyone shed any light

2 |3000