question

yelloideas avatar image
yelloideas asked

HELP! MPPT is cutting on and off continuously

I have the MPPT 100 | 30 SmartSolar controller. I am monitoring it thru the app and it is very consistently charging for 60 seconds, and then turns off for 60 seconds, then turns back on.... which means that I am only getting 50% of my total solar. Is this normal behavior? Anything that I can do to fix it? The following images are monitoring both from my shunt, and my MPPT controller. Thanks!

mppt01.jpeg

mppt02.jpeg

MPPT Controllers
mppt01.jpeg (385.0 KiB)
mppt02.jpeg (399.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
What does the pv voltage look like?
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

hello @yelloideas , I'm not asure what batteries you are using but just as an experiment please reduce the charging voltage 13.36 volts and see what happens. The reason for this request is the voltage is fluctuating pretty wildly when charging and that may be the BMS of the battery/batteries switching in and out.

If you can establish if the swithcing on and off is voltage related it is a starting point.

Regards,

Trevor

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

yelloideas avatar image
yelloideas answered ·

screenshot-20220621-195449.jpg

Hi Trevor! Thanks so much for your quick response! I am using Battleborn 100AH batteries (x4). When you say to adjust the voltage... which one are you talking about? Here are my settings... thanks again!

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Are these batteries AGM or LiFePo4?

We really need to see what the panels are doing, preferably for a longer time period.

Please post shots of panel performance and battery performance for the same time period.

And do you have loads on the system?

0 Likes 0 ·
Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

You have lithium batteries so adjust the settings to battery preset could be changed to Lithium. Find "battery preset", find "select preset" and choose "Lithium iron Phosphate". Perhaps try that but if the problem persists (which I expect it will) switch on "expert mode" and reduce "absorption voltage" and "float voltage" by 1 volt. 14.2v goes to 13.2v and 13.5 v goes to 12.5 v. These voltages are significantly lower than the recommended levels but it would prove a point. The point is the system will run if voltages are lowered. The reason may well be the BMS in the batteries is actively switching in and out with higher voltages. If you can get the system to settle down you could bring those voltages up slowly and see if the problem comes back. That is what I would do anyway.

0 Likes 0 ·
taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

Did you perhaps press "start now"? For safety, I'd set your EQ voltage to 0V. Your other voltages look good. What else is connected to the battery?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Equalisation should only be used on batteries that need it. Others it will damage. There's no sign in the graphs that it has been started manually.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Battleborn batteries actually have a very good Battery manual.

Not hard to find, read, or follow.

2 |3000

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

As you have lithium you need to set the temperature compensation to zero.

1 comment
2 |3000

taylortops avatar image taylortops commented ·
you are correct.
0 Likes 0 ·
yelloideas avatar image
yelloideas answered ·

screenshot-20220623-202830.jpgHi @Trevor Bird .. I performed the experiment of reducing the voltage to the point where it remained constant and did not cycle ... the highest that I could get was 13.29V (which is obviously not optimal). I also did amother experiment where I used my intelli-power 9100 lithium battery charger, and it puts out exactly 13.47V at 47.5A continuously... I monitored it for over 30 minutes with no cut outs. Thus my conclusion is that the issue is NOT with the Battleborn BMS, and is instead something related to the MPPT controller. Any ideas?

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@yelloideas What does the pv voltage look like?

0 Likes 0 ·