question

leigh avatar image
leigh asked

Multiplus which one?

Hey all,

I have 2 x lithium 200ah 12v batteries and 660w of solar on my boat. Our goal is to spend as much time away from harbours as possible.

I am trying to size my inverter charger. All I am running at the same time is a household fridge freezer, computer charger, speaker and occasional a small TV.

Will the multiplus 12v 1600/70 handle this with ease and will it effect the amount of power I can use when plugged in at the Dock?

Thanks in advance:-)

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

Sounds like a good fit. You can confirm by adding the power consumption of each AC device. That said, are there any planned loads in future eg pumps, induction stove. These can pull some amps. Final thought on that, if you're running 12V, you'll need some beefy battery to inverter cable, 150A at full throttle and peaks above that. I'd configure as 24VDC.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leigh avatar image leigh commented ·
All the pumps, lights etc come directly from the bateries as they are 12v. Hence the fact It a 12v setup.

Is it just because of the wire you suggest 24v?

I have some 70mm2 wire left over from an anchor winch install:-)

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ leigh commented ·

There's no need or reason to switch to 24V.

You can configure the input current limit, by default it's set below max because of places with max set on shore power.

Consider also adding a galvanic isolator to protect under water metal parts from corrosion when plugged in.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

"Will the multiplus 12v 1600/70 handle this with ease and will it effect the amount of power I can use when plugged in at the Dock?"

With proper judgement you can run a surprising variety of loads with a Multi 12-1600-70.

My multi 1600, and 300ah battery powers,....

220L fridge/freezer. This cost about half a weeks wage, but 1/6 the price of a similar capacity 12v dc FF. The savings alone on the mains FF allowed for a much larger battery bank.

I can run a basic microwave oven to heat up TV dinners :).

I use a Birko to heat up water for tea/coffee/noodles.

I have a tiny 4" ego hotplate (550w stove) for 1 pot meals.

I have a 9" skillet (650w) that I can cook a steak, or stir-fry in.

2 slice toaster.

A tiny twin tub clothes washer.

And a small 900w airfryer.

I do have a fair amount of DC loads. Lights, computer, 2 x TV's, pumps, chargers...

@TaylorTops mentioned appropriately sized cabling, and fusing. This is a real problem and must be correctly calculated/addressed.

will it effect the amount of power I can use when plugged in at the Dock?

HMmm. I managed to spank (program) my multi to accept power from a tiny 800w inverter generator. I have limited the ac input to 2.9a. And battery charge limit of 40a. This allows me to charge my battery, and not power any ac loads.

YMMV.

2 |3000