question

hobohome avatar image
hobohome asked

VE Bus State Codes

I'm and having regular shutdowns of my off-grid Quattro 48/5000 - reported as "Overload". I have captured detailed VE Bus logs of two of these shutdowns (via MQTT) and the event I see happening first, is the {inverter}/VebusMainState changes from 4 to 0

followed by the {inverter}/State changing from 9 to 2

A full 2 seconds later the overload LED comes on and the output voltage drops to zero.

At no time during this event does the inverter input current rise, the battery voltage drop or the inverter output current or power rise. As these are all things I would expect to see in the case of a real overload.

Can somebody please point me to the reference material showing what these VE Bus state codes mean?

These "overload" shutdowns have only started occurring since I added a Venus GX and upgraded the inverter to v431

VE.Bus
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ramack avatar image ramack commented ·
did you find any documentation about those states and their meaning?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you setup the VRM connections and then looked at all the graphs and information as this may also give you some clues

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I use the following values for inverter service /Mode parameter:

4: Off
1: Charging
2: On (for inverter only)
   Inverting ( for interver/charger)
3: On (for inverter/charger)
4: Eco (for inverter only)

I found these in the GUI code (SystemState.qml). I use these for system service /SystemState/State:

SystemStateDescription { value: 0x00; name: "off"; text: qsTr("Off")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x01; name: "low_power"; text: qsTr("AES mode")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x02; name: "fault"; text: qsTr("Fault")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x03; name: "bulk"; text: qsTr("Bulk")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x04; name: "absorption"; text: qsTr("Absorption")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x05; name: "float"; text:  qsTr("Float")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x06; name: "storage"; text: qsTr("Storage")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x07; name: "equalize"; text: qsTr("Equalize")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x08; name: "passthru"; text: qsTr("Passthru")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x09; name: "inverting"; text: qsTr("Inverting")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x0A; name: "assisting"; text: qsTr("Assisting")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x0B; name: "psu"; text: qsTr("Power Supply")},

SystemStateDescription { value: 0xF5; name: "wakeup"; text: qsTr("Wakeup")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xF6; name: "rep_abs"; text: qsTr("Rep. Absorption")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xF7; name: "auto_equalize"; text: qsTr("Equalize")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xF8; name: "battery_safe"; text: qsTr("Battery Safe")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xF9; name: "load_detect"; text: qsTr("Test")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xFA; name: "blocked"; text: qsTr("Blocked")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xFB; name: "test"; text: qsTr("Test")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0xFC; name: "hub1"; text: qsTr("Ext. control")},

// These are not VEBUS states, they are system states used with ESS
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x100; name: "discharging"; text: qsTr("Discharging")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x101; name: "sustain"; text: qsTr("Sustain")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x102; name: "recharge"; text: qsTr("Recharge")},
        SystemStateDescription { value: 0x103; name: "scheduledcharge"; text: qsTr("Scheduled")}

2 |3000

Related Resources