question

voyagerc470 avatar image
voyagerc470 asked

MPPT Controller NOT CONNECTING

Hi. I have read all the blog answers/comments from early 2021 to Jan 2022 (when answer provided) regarding the MPPT Controller "connecting" issue. I just ordered the VE Direct cable to USB needed to do the 1.03 FW update. Here is my Q - We currently have 5.60 VictronConnect version. Our MPPT Controller does show 1.0 on the back. We are updated on our SW on our Controllers (based on my what VictronConnect tells me). Do I still need to do the 1.03 FW upgrade? (I assume so since I keep getting connecting error). BTW, our systems have worked perfectly for last 4 years. Thanks for your reply, Michelle

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @VoyagerC470

It is advised to still update the MPPT Control, even after the firmware of the MPPTs themselves are updated.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

voyagerc470 avatar image
voyagerc470 answered ·

We completed the Firmware 1.03 to MPPT Controller. No change. Still blinking "Connecting". We have 2 fully redundant systems on the boat and the "controller" does the same error in the other side, too. Yet, I can take side (panel, solar chargerc cabling, etc) that shows error and connect to other MPPT Controller and it works fine. Appears to be only a MPPT controller firmware issue. This is frustrating. Advice?

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi

Just so I understand correctly:
1. You have 2 MPPTs and 2 MPPT Controls?
2. One MPPT Control is working perfectly and one MPPT Control is only showing "CONNECTING"?5. It does not matter which MPPT you connect the failing MPPT Control to, in both cases it shows "CONNECTING"?
4. The working MPPT Control is working perfectly on both MPPTs?

If the above is indeed the case have one more question to determine whether the problem is the VE.Direct cable or the MPPT Control itself:
5. Did you only switch the MPPT Control when testing it on both MPPTs or did you also switch the cable?

When you also switched the cable, I would also try without swapping the cable. When the failing MPPT Control now works, the problem is with the cable.

When you did not swap the cables (but kept them connected to their own MPPT), then it looks like the communication port of the MPPT Control is broken.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

voyagerc470 avatar image
voyagerc470 answered ·

Hi Thiemo, After seeing your last comment, we went back and did the finally troubleshooting. It was in fact the control display that was faulty. Both VE Direct cables (off both controllers) worked on the good display. Neither worked on the faulty display. We just received the new control display and installed. It works fine as of today. Thanks for following up with me on the troubleshooting.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @VoyagerC470

Glad that I could help and good to hear that everything is working again.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·