question

Joe avatar image
Joe asked

MPPT Sizing / Cabling help

Hi all,

I need little help for the expansion of my current PV installation.

We want to add 14 x 395W modules and I am unsure on how to interpret the Victron calculator-result:

https://mppt.victronenergy.com#djE7Y3VzdG9tLDQsNCw1NCwtMjAsNzAsNDgsMTAuMzIsMywxMC43NCwzOTUsMzguMjksLTAuMzUsNDUuNiwyMCw2

According to manual calulation we think the 85A version would also be feasible, but to have some spare, 100A is ok. (Flat installation, not iin a 3x° angle.

BUT: how to pair the modules?

It allows me 3x5 or 4x4, but the device has 3 strings only.

How to physically pair them?

5*45,6V = 228V

Can we put

5 x 1 = 228V

5 x 1 = 228V

4 x 1 = 182V

on one device, meaning one string has only 182V or is it better to go with 2 smaller MPPTs?

Any help is appreciated as I need to order ASAP ;)

Thanks in advance!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

14 panels is an awkward number since you can't make all of the serial strings identical and keep under the 250V. You can't have mismatched numbers in a serial string, as you can see the Voltages are different.

So you are pretty much forced into using two charge controllers. Two strings of 5 into a 250/70 would work pretty well. This array could make 80A at times, but mostly it will be under this so a 70A controller would be a good compromise. Go for the 250/100 if you don't want to compromise.
Then the one string of 4 would need to go into its own controller which would need to be a 250/60 since this is the smallest of the 250V versions. A string of four is too much for a 150V controller.

Another option is to use a MPPT RS 450/100. This model has two trackers. At total charging current of 100A it would suit your setup pretty well.
You could configure two arrays, each as a string of 7 panels into each tracker.
The only caveat I can see is that the MPPT RS can only go up to 60V Absorb Voltage, if your battery needs a higher Absorb Voltage setting, then this would not suit you.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Jochen K

The terminals into the devices shown are MC4 pairs, rated at 30A each, so you can have more than one solar string into each pair.

The calculator is adjusting Voc for the ambient Temperature you've given it. So you can't have 5x in a string. 4x max.

14x panels is a bad number, only divisible by 2 or 7. 7x per string is actually possible into the RS mppt, but the calculator seems to mislead with this It will show RS if one string entered, but it has 2 trackers, which aren't allowed for. So it could handle all your panels in 2 strings.

2x panels/string may be borderline in poor light. Might be ok, and if you have a stray couple you could try it into a separate (& much smaller) mppt. So maybe 4S3P into a 250/85 and 2S1P into a 150/35 (underutilised but fits). Don't mix string lengths into one mppt.

Edit: Crossed with wkirby, but I'll leave it..

2 |3000

Joe avatar image
Joe answered ·

Thank you, mates!

Checked with my friend planning the panels again.we have two roofs, one with 6 modules, the other one with 8. Thats the reason for the weird 14 in total. So assuming, the split to 6+8 is a necessary information for you guys.

If I understand right, I could use one 250/85 and one 150/60 then but also the RS would be an option.

--> any recommendation from you guys what's the right way to go for me?

My battery is a DIY 48V / 28.8kWh built with 32 EVE 280, so no issue with the 60V absorb voltage.

Attached a photo of the extension....(if I manage to get it uploaded here at the ⛱️) - now back from beach, should work now :)

img-20220110-wa0002.jpg

P.S.: of course the house if equipped already

5 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Ah, this information changes everything. Arrays of 6 and 8 are much easier to work with.

Configure the 6 in a 3 series, 2 parallel configuration and use a MPPT150/45.
Configure the 8 in a 4 series, 2 parallel configuration and use a 250/60.
The above controllers will be slightly below the array maximum with a 50V battery Voltage and the optimal battery Voltage of 52V or more will yield the maximum from the arrays.

If you think you would ever expand either of your arrays in the future then get higher current controllers. 150/60 and 250/70 would offer you some headroom.

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
@Jochen K @WKirby The 150/45 is still an issue with 3x strings in cold weather. Another 250/60 will be recommended by the Calculator. The RS an option too with 2 trackers.
1 Like 1 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ JohnC ♦ commented ·
Indeed, thank you John.

So, I agree, a 250/60 would be necessary here too.
Also consider MPPT RS six series in one tracker and eight in series into the other tracker.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image Joe wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Hi guys, I am back from vacation!

Indeed further upgrades in the future (smaller ones) might be an option.

So what you're saying is I should take 2 x 250/60 to be on the safe side, alternatively an RS with two trackers included.

Help me out: The RS is available as 450/100 or 450/200. What do I need? Sorry if this question might be stupid?! The RS can handle way higher voltage, meaning I could do different wiring with higher voltages and lower currents?

1 Like 1 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Joe commented ·
@Jochen K

Re the 450/100 RS. Yes, that's the idea. 2x series-wired strings (6 and 8), each into it's own tracker. Just one wire pair from each string to the mppt at the panel Imp of 10.32A.

The 450/200 has 4 trackers.

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe avatar image
Joe answered ·

Hi guys, I am back from vacation!

Indeed further upgrades in the future (smaller ones) might be an option.

So what you're saying is I should take 2 x 250/60 to be on the safe side, alternatively an RS with two trackers included.

Help me out: The RS is available as 450/100 or 450/200. What do I need? Sorry if this question might be stupid?! The RS can handle way higher voltage, meaning I could do different wiring with higher voltages and lower currents?

2 |3000

jc2010 avatar image
jc2010 answered ·

Another alternative is this:
https://mppt.victronenergy.com#djE7Y3VzdG9tLDcsMSw1NCwtMjAsNzAsNDgsMTAuMzIsMC4wNSwxMC43NCwzOTUsMzguMjksLTAuMzUsNDUuNiwyMCw2O2N1c3RvbSw3LDEsNTQsLTIwLDcwLDQ4LDEwLjMyLDAuMDUsMTAuNzQsMzk1LDM4LjI5LC0wLjM1LDQ1LjYsMjAsNg==

1 string of 7 series connected panels in MPPT tracker #1 of the RS 450/200
1 string of 7 series connected panels in MPPT tracker #2 of the RS 450/200

This would not have any limits as per the calculator.

2 |3000