question

danny-duym avatar image
danny-duym asked

Orion-Tr 12/12-9 to prevent brownout?

My Cerbo shuts down due to a probable sudden and very short (msec) voltage dip when switching on other circuits. Can I put a Orion-Tr 12/12-9 in front of the Cerbo to smooth out these dips?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Should be ok. But why such a voltage dip? I'd check loads/battery size and cabling first.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danny-duym avatar image
danny-duym answered ·

Brand new batteries, but all loads connected to one power post. Will exchange this with a busbar. Powerdip does not show on multimeter, so must be brownout. Happens when I switch on nav or autopilot. If Orion does not work, then plan B is capacitor in parallel on the feed to Cerbo.

2 |3000

danny-duym avatar image
danny-duym answered ·

The sequel: I put a "Joy-it SBC-BUCKBOOST01" voltage regulator in front of the Cerbo. It lets me regulate the voltage to a constant value, and this solved the problem. So I suppose a much more expensive Orion would do the trick as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I suspect you have high resistance somewhere in your wiring. Would be worth checking, might be a possible hot spot with consequences...
0 Likes 0 ·