question

david-shourd avatar image
david-shourd asked

MultiPlus 24/3000 all LED's Flashing and not responding after attempting firmware update

Looking for some help on my MultiPlus 24/3000 at my offgrid cabin. while going through a firmware update last weekend something didnt take or an error occurred as once the MuliPlus turned back on all of the LED's were flashing and it was not inverting or even taking generator power (AC IN). I was doing the update via VRM through the Cerbo that was connected all connected via my Starlink that was being powered by the inverter. I was able to get power restored via generator and getting creative with some wiring by bypassing the inverter and just doing a direct feed from the generator to my panel.

this allowed me to get the internet turned back on and reconnect devices but the inverter was no longer showing as "connected", and all LED's on the inverter still flashing.

I did not have an MK3-USB so was pretty much stuck at that point. tried disconnecting the inverter from the batteries for 30+ minutes to see if it would "reset" but to no luck.

I am now back home and procured an MK3-USB but want to verify with all the knowledge here what my next steps will be once I return to the cabin to get the the inverter back up and running.

1. disconnect the inverter from the cerbo and any other controllers I assume?

2. I have the Victron Tool Kit Apps on my laptop (PC) and the MK3-USB, along with some extra patch cables.

3. do I just plug in the MK3-USB into my inverter and then into the laptop, launch VictronConnect? or VEConfig?

4. Other steps or procedures? I will be able to get internet while I am out there if I need to download anything but just want to make sure I have the parts and smarts before I head back into the sticks and hours/day away from being able to get get other parts/pieces.

Thank you All-

System consists of:

-24V system: 820Ah of batteries by way of (8) 6V FLA.

-Cerbo GX communicating to MultiPlus, smartshunt, and MPPT.

-Victron MPPT Controller with 1300+/- watts of solar. (connects to Cerbo) with current firmware per my scan last weekend

-Victron Smart Shunt (Connected to Cerbo)

-MultiPlus 24-3000 with firmware xxxx400 or higher)

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @David Shourd,

Sorry to hear it, sounds inconvenient.

There are two ways, and I would be prepared for both, in case there is an issue with one.

The easiest way is via VictronConnect, print, read and familiarise yourself with the VictronConnect procedure here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Bus_Configuration_Guide/en/firmware-updates.html

If that is unsuccessful, there is an alternative via VE.Flash;

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

Both require preparation and some downloading in advance, all specifics are described in those guides.

I hope recovery is smooth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

david-shourd avatar image
david-shourd answered ·

I should add that I also had a bluetooth dongle, while not hooked up during the update I also tried it and it was not recognizing the inverter. I assume with the MK3-USB I can plug right in and get connection. that is really my biggest issue is that the inverter is frozen and not communicating with Cerbo or bluetooth dongle so I cannot try updating/reloading the firmware. just to clarify.

1 comment
2 |3000

The MK3-USB adapter when in firmware update mode operates at a lower level in the system than the Bluetooth dongle and GX device interaction.

So it is almost certainly still going to work even when those do not.

VictronConnect and VE.Flash both have different firmware update methods as well, so it is good to be familiar with both of them in case one is failing.

VictronConnect is by far the easier and more straight forward, so recommended first.

0 Likes 0 ·