question

wbogan avatar image
wbogan asked

Multiplus 24/3000/70 shuts down when connecting Ethernet to Cerbo GX

Strange event started yesterday after two weeks of no issues. I turned everything off and when I turned it back on, the Multiplus would not start. I troubleshot all cabling, fuses, connections, and did capacitor precharge. No resolution. Then I found that when I pull the ethernet cable out from either GX or Multiplus, I can turn on the inverter and everything works well except monitoring . As soon as I connect the ethernet cable back to the GX, the inverter shuts down with the following lights on - Bulk (flashing), Absorption (flashing), Floatn(solid), Interter On (flashing).

Video of plugging in ethernet cable and Multiplus error/shutdown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpeoLrYrpQ

I have a Multiplus 24/3000/70 (Firmware 494) that is connected to two EG4 Lifepower 24v 200ah batteries. Using Lynx Distributor, Cerbo GX (Firmware 2.87), Victron Energy VE.Bus Smart Dongle to Multiplus, Orion 24/12 DC-DC converter, BlueSolar 150/35 MPPT. All has been working well until last night.

Any idea what would cause the shutdown?

RESOLVED: Issue - Was connecting ethernet cable into LAN port instead of VE port. Solution - Plugging the cable into the VE Port allowed proper communication and no longer forced an error in the Multiplus.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

I just noticed in your video that you are plugging the cable into the LAN port instead of VE.Bus port.

See this video for a demonstration of the correct port for connection - https://vimeo.com/706533134#t=708s

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wbogan avatar image wbogan commented ·
That was the exact problem. Such a simple mistake on my end and a great catch by you. Thank you so much!
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Normal Youtube video link (non - Youtube Shorts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpeoLrYrpQ

-------

Strange.

Not sure if these would make any difference, but they are easy to test:

• Any difference if you remove the VE.Bus Smart Dongle?
  • With only the VE.Bus Smart Dongle connected to the Multiplus, does the dongle work (can you connect to it)?
  • Have you tried other UTP/LAN cable?
1 comment
2 |3000

wbogan avatar image wbogan commented ·

34f0930a-bf33-4aac-9660-35f63b618551.pngI tried the following and the common failure is the connection to the Cerbo GX

1. Replaced Ethernet cable on both Cerbo and VE.Bus - throws error on connection to Cerbo

2. Connected with just one Ethernet cable to Cerbo - throws error on connection to Cerbo

3. Connect with only VE.Bus and am able to see unit via Victron Connect (see photo)

0 Likes 0 ·