question

Tony avatar image
Tony asked

Multiplus 2 tripping shorepower after 2:22 minuets exactly

I have a new installed with a Multiplus2 12/3000/120 Lynx 1000amp shunt and 100-50 MPPT 360 watt panel. 4 280 amp hour batts.

I camped on 50 amp with no issues a few weeks ago. But this trip is only 30 amp service. The shore power breaker trips at 2 minuets and 22 seconds almost on the second. I called the camp maintenance person and he came and replaced the breaker. It is still tripping. I have tried to limit the current. i tested the current input with a clamp meter. and it never came close to 30 amp. the maintenance guy said some electrical interference can trip the breakers. I'm very worried cause its getting hot and we cant run our AC long on the Batteries. it really bizarre that the breaker is tripping at that exact same time every time. If anyone has any ideas please help. Thanks

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevor Bird avatar image Trevor Bird commented ·

@Tony are you sure it is current overload or could it be earth leakage trip. If it is an earth leakage issue it doesn’t have anything to do with high current levels.

0 Likes 0 ·
18 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

The AC Out 2 relay has a delay of 2 minutes. Do you have something connected to AC Out 2?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

I don't have anything on AC2 output. Later that day the power started to hold for several hours at a time. It seemed like maybe the park started to clear out a bit. maybe it was just overloaded. But it scares me cause I'm going to a campground is a couple weeks that I had allot of power issues last year. (before Mutiplus was Installed) so I'm hoping for a better experience. the 2:22 minuets tripping was very suspicious that maybe it was me somehow. But i cant imagine how.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
If you think it was an overload grid you should test it again at a more stable grid connection.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

My fist camp was at a park with 50 AMP and I had no issues at all. I said so in my original post. This was my first time on 30 Amp with this setup. I had the current limiter set at 30 - Then I tried 20 - then I tried 10. it didn't matter. Breaker still tripped. Has anyone ever heard of interference tripping breakers. and what interference would my system be creating.

2 |3000

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Are you using PowerAssist? If not, then enabling PowerAssist in the Multiplus settings might help.

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

Yes I had assist enabled. And it was assisting when necessary. Since I had the current limiter set at 20 amps it assisted quite a bit. When the breaker was holding that is.

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

Okay so I camped again this last weekend and on 30 Amp again. Once again the breaker tripped about 5 different times. I had the current limit set at 23 Amps. This time it wasn't at the 2 minuets intervals. The first trip was at night right before bed. Again at 3 AM. And again later that day.

And it was pretty stable afterwards., I just cant figure out why its tripping. I wasn't pulling the 30 AMPS. Or even close. and most the time when it tripped the AC wasn't even on!!! and the batteries were almost fully charged. I was in Float charge at the time. and was using 304 watts from the Shore!! Could it have something to do with the Soft start on the AC? Anyone have any ideas.

This is such a pain to try and figure out!!

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

Oh and one thing is should mention. I have a power Watchdog in between the Shore and the Inverter input!!.

Not sure if this helps or not!!

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

Here is a Diagram of my Install!!

tk-rv.jpg

tk-rv.jpg (332.9 KiB)
2 |3000

jerry-griffin avatar image
jerry-griffin answered ·

Was it the same campground? I briefly worked in a older campground where they put multiple sites not right next to each other on one 30a circuit because they didn't have the power to provide many 30a sites (so it could be a combination of you and someone else using the power) but still want to get the business and the higher $ so they will use the those sites for campers they didn't expect to be there frequently. (but deny it). I wasn't there long

1 comment
2 |3000

Tony avatar image Tony commented ·

No it was a Different campground. And the camp ground was pretty empty. I didn't have anyone next to me for most the trip. And I had my Current limiter set to 23 Amps. Both camp grounds were Illinois state parks though. So if they did what you say they do. And I wouldn't be surprised. That could make sense if both parks did this power sharing thing. I would think this would break allot of Electrical codes and a state park wouldn't do that. but what do I know.

I have Victron involved now!! Lets see what they have to say about it. They have asked for pictures of my install and Such.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
stvaughn avatar image
stvaughn answered ·

I have the same problem you have when I’m connected to a 115 volt 15 amp circuit and also have the power watchdog. Have you resolved the problem yet?

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

I have been working with Victron to get it fixed. One of the solutions they recommended to try was to remove the Watchdog and run direct into the Victron. is yours a hardwire or Dogbone type.

Mine is hardwired so it will be a pain to bypass it!!!

2 |3000

stvaughn avatar image
stvaughn answered ·

Mine is hard wired also. Hope we can find a better solution than bypassing it.

2 |3000

Tony avatar image
Tony answered ·

Here’s what Victron said:

A standard 50A to 30A adaptor should work here. Since the unit works will with 120/240Vac I’m thinking this is something on the AC incoming side with the adaptor. Some options:

• Swap the adaptor with another one to rule that out.
  • Bypass the existing input/wiring/adaptor and go directly from the 120Vac source to the MultiPlus to rule all of that out.
  • Sounds like they have tried two different AC inputs, but it might worth trying a third AC source to rule that out.
2 |3000

stvaughn avatar image
stvaughn answered ·

Keep us posted on what you find out please.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevin-cahoon avatar image kevin-cahoon commented ·
I am getting the E8 Error on the Hughes Watchdog, (lost neutral) Contact Hughes who has reached out to Victron as this is a known issue and they received a pretty cool response. Sound like it wont be fixed anytime soon. Only suggestion was to downgrade the Watchdog from the EPO version to the basic version which doesnt look for missing neutral. I have conflicting thoughts on that one. Mine seems to go down once a day, and I have to manually cycle the breaker to bring it back

0 Likes 0 ·
mayhem1328 avatar image
mayhem1328 answered ·

Was there ever a solution to this? I have the same thing going on. Multi II and a watchdog EPO.

Works on 50amp great. On storage power it pops the outside breaker.

2 |3000

solarrls303 avatar image
solarrls303 answered ·

I had a somewhat similar issue. Using a 2000w inverter generator the Multiplus would draw so much power it would stall the generator. I ended up changing the battery charge current setting. This prevented the Multiplus from drawing too much current.

2 |3000

moneyslinger avatar image
moneyslinger answered ·

Well, well...so it's just not crazy me and my problem (or my son's same problem). Pretty much the exact same setup and tripping issues also w watchdog too. No problem on 50amp service. I have both my main breakers off in the trailer and batteries mostly full and Max AC charge set to 10amps on a household 20amp circuit. From what I gather here, it seems it can potentially be a ground issue involving the watchdog, maybe in combination w the 50/30 adapters...? Any other updates after the last August 24th post? Thx

It seems also like it's trying to recover by itself...but the of course the shore power circuit has tripped and there is no current there to recover.

screen-shot-2023-10-19-at-82632-am.jpg

2 |3000

moneyslinger avatar image
moneyslinger answered ·
2 |3000