question

adam landa avatar image
adam landa asked

Error #66 on two of three SmartSolar MPPT 150 | 85 - Tr VE.Can

I have three SmartSolar MPPTs, all three 150|85 - Tr VE.Can (Port, Center, Starboard). A few weeks ago one (Port) simply stopped producing energy, and read 0 watts at the Cerbo GX. Per the installer's instructions, I waitied for nighttime (as the installer did not install breakers between the solar panels and the MPPT), disconnected the unit from PV, and then from the Battery, and after a short respite, reconnected it. The next morning, that controller resumed producing power.

When the power was reconnected, the Port MPPT resumed normal power output, however, Port and Starboard both have Error #66.

I have checked all of the settings that I can find to ensure all three are identical, and they are. I have also checked the firmware, and all three report that they are operating the same version, v3.07. I am a bit confounded at this point. See Screenshot_20220528-114340.png.

Interestingly, the MPPT main screen on the phone has a small icon that when clicked says VE.Smart networking This product is configured for VE.Smart networking and is waiting for data. And each of the devices sees the other two as "in range for this device."

HELP!!!

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@adam landa

So they are Possible set up for networking over bluetooth possibly for synchronised charging. it seems something is messing with their communication.

It is a nice feature but not always necessary. Sometimes can be more of a pain that it is worth. How far apart are they?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

adam landa avatar image adam landa commented ·
Alexandra, the weird thing is they were working together fine. One stopped working and the installer recomended a restart.

So far as I now how to tell, they are using the rj-45 connected wiring (VE.Can?) to communicate. The mppts are about 10 cm apart. All are about 8 m from the Cerbo GX. From the last in the chain, the VE.Can cabling then goes to the Lynx shunt, and is terminated there.

They should not be using bluetooth except to communicate with the phone interface (at least as far as I know/understand).

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ adam landa commented ·

You are correct they should not be smart networking at all since there is a Cerbo. So make sure that smart network is removed. Then check if your rj45s are not corroded as well.

0 Likes 0 ·