question

steveambrose avatar image
steveambrose asked

Generators - What is the issue with Inverter generators? What am I missing?

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Hi Guy (and Brains trust), I live off-grid not far from Murwillumbah, we have updated our setup with Victron and couldn't be happier. We have a Quattro 48 10kva & Smartsolar RS 450/100 & 150/60( +Cerbo GX, lynx distributors etc)

Where I have come unstuck is with the generator, especially with this very long wet spell we have had, now we have had a couple of generators in our time big and small and am now looking for something that will happily charge the 600ah of byd lithium when needed and provide that extra power to run the house - water pump, washing machine, tv, internet, I may be pushing it when I say dishwasher - of course not at the same time ;)

In your article you make mention of inverter generators not being recommended.

While we do not advise our Victron system customers to buy inverter-based generators – if they already own them, we are able to make them work.

What am I missing besides for the fact we are losing efficiency through power conversion and them being typically smaller in size. I am currently looking at purchasing a Honda eu70is while not big, it will provide clean power, there are cheaper and more expensive options but again more THD.

If people want to point me to other articles, please do. Thanks in advance

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

More than you need, but take a look at this thread : https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/120935/which-generators-are-fully-compatible.html

Especially the long post from @Markus

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steveambrose avatar image steveambrose commented ·

Thank you Kev - good post by Markus he is answering questions I didn’t realise I was asking

0 Likes 0 ·
petere101 avatar image
petere101 answered ·

Have you seen this page

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

"If you do want an inverter based generator (eg for noise reasons under lower loading), get one that is at least 30% larger than required than an equivalent AVR based model to help prevent nuisance overloads. "

2 comments
2 |3000

steveambrose avatar image steveambrose commented ·

I have Peter, this was a great article for help sorting out some of the nuisances but I realise I may of breezed past the further reading section. I will take another look at that section today.

Again its more so, at the comments made by Guy (https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2017/11/27/the-trouble-with-generators/) I understand this article is older now, but why are inverter generators not recommended and is that again because they come in smaller size/loads/overloads, or is there something more, because as we know, while you are charging your batteries with your inverter, then inverter is converting that to dc with set charge settings and the generator is then also taking on any active loads from the house and why wouldn't you want the best output for that especially with the amount of microcontrollers computers in every appliance / device these days?

0 Likes 0 ·
petere101 avatar image petere101 steveambrose commented ·

"Inverter based generators have a characteristic where the motor continues to run even if the unit has electronically overloaded and no longer delivering power. It may appear that the generator is operating and the system is charging when it isn't. These units are also more easily overloaded by surge loads, as they are electronically limited rather than mechanically."

The answer may be simpy that. The Honda EU3.0i is a great little machine. As I think I understand, you can limit the incoming current on the Quattro....

0 Likes 0 ·