question

James B avatar image
James B asked

MultiPlus ESS Mode 3 - battery drain at idle

I've been developing my Mode 3 control loop for a MultiPlus 2 GX over the last few days and noticed an undesirable effect I would like to eliminate. When the AC Setpoint is 0 at night, there is a constant drain on the battery of about 38W. This seems like quite a lot more than the idle usage. I can hear the Multiplus humming during this idling, so it certainly seems to be doing something unnecessarily.

See the attached graphs between about 0100-0600 - the bottom-left Battery Power graph is probably the most visible indication of the drain.

Firstly, what is this drain likely to be? And can I stop it?

I have nothing connected to AC Out 2, and AC Out 1 is connected to a double plug socket, which was unused. There is only one other device connected to the DC system - a SmartSolar charger, slaved to the ESS.

I heard the usual drain of the MultiPlus 2 should be about 11W.

When I disable my control loop completely so that the AC Setpoint timeout kicks in, the system falls back into "ESS Passthru" and the battery usage goes right down to what I would expect it to be - plus this humming noise stops

So secondly, is there anything I can command in my Mode 3 control loop to actively put the system into ESS Passthru and keep it there? Or do I simply have to stop sending updates and allow it to timeout.

Is there another better way to get ESS Mode 3 into some kind of "idle but ready" state?

I would probably rather this constant drain came from the AC In rather than the battery, so as not to unnecessarily cycle them. So should I set the AC Setpoint to like 11 or something when I want it to idle? (But then what happens if it doesn't actually want to use this 11W, I don't want it constantly trying to shove it into the already-full battery)

Thanks!

graphsmode3drain.png

Multiplus-IIESS
graphsmode3drain.png (364.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

James B avatar image James B commented ·

Might have at least partially resoled this now...

So if I disable Feed In and Charging by using the following Mode3 MQQT Topics, Passthru mode gets activated and the batteries don't get slowly drained at all:

/Hub4/DisableCharge
/Hub4/DisableFeedIn

When I set DisableFeedIn to 1, this turns off the inverter. However, then my Multi went into Bulk mode (even though battery SoC was 99.5%) and began drawing about 30-40W from AC In. So I also set DisableCharge to 1, this put the Multi into Passthru and fixed the power draw.

So I wrote a couple of Automations (in Home Assistant, where I've currently implemented the control loop) to:

1) Disable both when AC Setpoint is zero AND PV Power < 15W AND PV Voltage < 57.5

2) Enable both when AC Setpoint is non-zero OR PV Voltage > 57.7

The reason I used PV Power/Voltage is that I only wanted to disable the charger when there was insufficient PV production to keep the Multi powered, and then I use voltage to turn back on as that is sort of a 'daylight detector'. 57.5V is the PV voltage I empirically determined where power production starts in the morning and ends at night.

It feels a bit ugly/complicated, and it all needs re-writing in a real language like Python, but its easy to prototype within the Home Assistant framework.

1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers