question

erald56 avatar image
erald56 asked

Generator charging strange readings

During the day my PV is charging the batteries but in the evening we want to run the generator (for AC and cooking) As soon we start the generator I see the battery voltage going up, which is normal But see the the current going negative first to -80A then to it lower over time to -19A (in about 45 minutes.) My Magnum Rc controller gives me a absorb charge of +50A and the same voltage as the BMV and VRM. I have a BMV 712 with shunt and a Cerbo GX with MPPT 150/100. Also I see that the charge (SOC) is going down from 100% to 94% over a 45 minutes of charging via the generator.

Have the feeling something is wrong or not understanding completely how things should work. The Magnum charger/inverter is connected via the shunt (as all negative wires from the RV) I simply do not understand why during the charging via the generator and magnum I am seeing negative AMPs.

Maybe someone could give me a clue on what might be wrong.

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·
Please provide picture that includes (-) battery terminal to shunt.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @erald56,

The first thing that comes to mind is that the shunt is installed the wrong way around.

Can you please post some photos of the installation?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

erald56 avatar image
erald56 answered ·

I feel stupid. The shunt was mounted the wrong way around. I corrected it and will test it further. Thank you for the pointer hope it did not damage anything

1 comment
2 |3000

No damage, it’s a fairly common issue.

Good luck with the rest.

0 Likes 0 ·