question

glennbur avatar image
glennbur asked

BMV600S battery monitor amp reading jumps around/incorrect

For years our BMS600s has performed faultlessly. Today we had our 2014 caravan lithium batteries replaced With more lithium’s. After installation the Victron was reading around 19 amps going in. Didn’t matter whether everything was turned off or not it still bounced wildly around 19 amps in. I am sure all of the settings are correct, but don’t believe the settings should alter the voltage or amp reading anyway. The voltage reading is correct.

I reset the amp zero calibration to see what happened and it now bounces wildly around 1 amp in. Something is certainly wrong and upsetting it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I wonder whether the inbuilt BMS on the new batteries could be causing it as the earlier batteries had an external BMS. Maybe this older gauge (purchased in 2005) doesn’t work with the inbuilt BMS.

Thanks. Glenn

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would think that the connection between the shunt and the display unit is the problem here, possibly disturbed whilst your new batteries were being installed. Check the RJ12 connections of the grey cable between the shunt and the BMV display. Unplug and re-plug them. You'll most likely need to reset the zero current again once you see stable readings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.