question

wayne82 avatar image
wayne82 asked

Simple solar set up

Hi,

I have a 260w portable solar panel that runs a 5 meter lead back to a Victron 100/20 Solar Charge controller. The solar charge Controller plugs into a battery box via an Anderson plug. In the battery box is a 130Ah lithium battery. The battery box has 2 usb ports, 2 cig sockets and 3 more available Anderson plugs for my 85l fridge etc. The solar controller is not mounted but will I will probably mount to the side of the battery box. The controller also has a ground screw, do I need to, and if so, where do I ground it as it is a portable system? I want to use it set up in the bush, not fixed to a car or camper and it can be packed up when home. And also, should there be a fuse on the positive cable from the solar panel before where it is screwed into the positive terminal on the solar controller or not?

Thanks very much.

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wayne82 avatar image
wayne82 answered ·

Do the 75/15 controllers need earthing? would i better off with that controller?!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

The short answer is they should be earthed, there is some description in Victron documentation although I found this confusing as it seem to contradict itself. But in a portable installation the earth screw is normally connected to the negative bus/chasis. To do with induced voltages and no isolation between PV and Battery negatives.

In a fixed installation fixed installation then would recommend to an earth point or earth rod etc ar far as I am aware

1 comment
2 |3000

wayne82 avatar image wayne82 commented ·
Thankyou southsideph. I also found their description confusing. What do you mean by negative bus/chassis? As its a portable set up using a battery box, there is no chassis to connect it to!
0 Likes 0 ·
southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

It would be your negative bus/connection

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic