question

bobhof avatar image
bobhof asked

Should I earth a Multiplus in a trailer?

Hi. I'm installing a Multiplus 12/500/20 in a camping trailer. It will charge a lithium battery, and provde 220v power. I'm unsure whether I should connect the earth connector on the Multiplus to the trailer's chassis? I do understand that this will not ground the device since it has rubber tyres, so is there any reason to connect it, or should I just leave it?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
southsideph avatar image
southsideph answered ·

RCD protection is critical

If you go onto google you'll get lots of answers people get confused about the word ground. but my understanding of electrical theory hopefully will explain why all metal/conductive surface should be grounded connected to one potential.

Voltage is Potential Difference between two points for current to flow. So theoretically if you get a fault you could get a difference in potential between two points in camper/boat/trailer. e.g. If you have microwave that develops a fault and the case becomes live and you touch another metal or conductive surface (taps, sink, hob, chasis, hand-rails) you could theoretically have a potential difference between two points which a lethal current could flow through you. So if you connect all conductive surfaces to ground/chasis then all metal/conductive surfaces will be at the same. potential so no current can flow.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

It should be grounded so to provide protection in case of a fault to ground and should be fitted with a RCD as well.

2 |3000