question

dylan-hyslop avatar image
dylan-hyslop asked

Pairing panels with 150/70 smart solar mppt

Good day, I am looking at adding some panels to my house.

I am however struggling to understand the mppt charge controllers ratings from Victron data sheet.
https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-250-85-250-100

I am looking at putting 6 * 460w panels.
Voc= 50.01

Vmpp= 42.13

Configuarion would be (2x3) so we would be running at Voc = 150.03 and Vmpt= 126.4

With a Smart Mppt 150/70 charge controller.

In the manual, it says the MAX solar voltage is 150 (Absolute max in bracktes). Now I need to try and understand. Does that mean I can run this panesl on this unit? My understanding is that the mppt controller when running wouldn't ever really let the voltage get that high.

I know Victron is generally pretty good at under specing In their data sheets and over-delivering in the product.

Do I run any risk with this setup?

MPPT Controllerssolar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Anold Pande avatar image
Anold Pande answered ·

Hi...Yes yu do run a risk with that setup. its better to be on the side of caution especially dealing with overall voltage. The voltage is what kills the mppt, and should not be exceeded. Exceeding the max wattage limit is of no detriment to the unit , as the unit will just shave it off and it will act as a plus in overcast days.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dylan-hyslop avatar image dylan-hyslop commented ·
Maybe something for Victron to consider is actually making their MPPTs support 160V.

Most big panels these days are about 50V Voc. which renders the current range of mppt kinda useless. Also jumping up in price to get the 250V unit, just for 1V over 150 seems silly.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic