question

macca61 avatar image
macca61 asked

Solar panels shutting down early (i think)

Hi , despite having a very sunny day yesterday my battery protect switched my system down this morning , i appear to be getting false readings , sometimes when switching on the generator the system jumps from perhaps 80% to 100 & in an unbelievably short time

I have 2 solar arrays on my boat, 800 watts each through 2 x 100/50 mppt controllers.

4 x 200 a/h lithium ion batteries

battery protect

Colour control

BMV 702 battery monitor

Orion smart charge for alternator.

we live aboard our dutch barge and rarely move so rely on solar in the summer with occasional generator top ups.

My thoughts are the sytem is telling the solars its full and ramping down production when really its not.

can anybody advise of any settings to check please or any other wisdom that could solve my problem.

Thanks in anticipation

Gordon

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
macca61 avatar image
macca61 answered ·
hi again Paul i think i found the problem, there was a loose connection on a fuse feeding the batteries from the mppts, this was causing overheating and the mppts were showing a voltage too high and going into float , but i will adjust my settings as per the videos.

Thanks

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have a look at these one is a document the other a video - as they may help you understand the settings better

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/SmartShunt/en/all-features-and-settings.html#UUID-37b15df6-8521-aa94-3dfd-7f1d92e7f6f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN15Z_S4kE

2 comments
2 |3000

macca61 avatar image macca61 commented ·
Thsnks Paul very useful im going to go over all my settings , i have just left it to the Lion settings preconfigured in the past, obviously these need tweaking
0 Likes 0 ·
macca61 avatar image macca61 commented ·

There seems to be conflicting info on the video compared to the manuals, .he states 14.2 charged voltage the same as the manuals but then on the video float should be 0.2 below that but in all the manuals float should be 13.5 volts, or have i misheard/misread something ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic